Propane grill losing gas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I have a MasterCraft propane grill. It seems to have a leak. The propane is getting used up far too fast. This is the second tank where this is happening. I was thinking I should get some soapy water and try to find a leak. Any suggestions of how to do this? Do I spritz the soapy water on hoses, connectors, etc.? Do I did a sponge in the soapy water and somehow get it onto the hose, etc.? I remember seeing a plumber do this to check a connection on a stove, but I don't remember what he did to get the water onto the connection.

Usually if the grill has a leak internally, I would imagine it would catch fire. I would suspect a seal is leaking around the tank or possibly the connecting hose is faulty. I use propane for the crawfish cooker and once noticed that the tank valve was cracked (I exchange tanks instead of getting them refilled) and leaked when the valve was open. So it might not be the grill at all. Do you get your tank(s) refilled or do you exchange them? I think exchanged tanks are more likely to suffer abuse.

I would use a sponge around the connections from the tank. Without the grill burning open the valve and douse with the soapy water, use lots of soap in the water. Start with the connection at the tank and work up to where it connects to the burner stem. If nothing there, take the grates out of the grill so you can see the burners exposed and light the grill. you may have a burned out hole in the line to the burner or the burner it's self.

If its leaking from the grill itself, then turn off the gas when finished.
If its the tank, have it checked.
Pressure tested.
Or just buy a new one or exchange the leaking one. Blue Rhino and others test the tanks before they are available for sale or rent.

What model MasterCraft? A Google search of that brand BBQ yielded zero results. Use a BIC long stem lighter and don't burn yourself up.

Last edited:
1.You should ALWAYS shut the gas off at the tank when not in use. Period.

2. If their is a leak, you should smell a pretty pungent odor around and/or under the grill -- propane (LP Gas) is heavier than air, it may not make it up to your nose level.

If you are not using a gas tank exchange, use one next time, and rule a leaking bottle out of the possibilities.

CD

Thanks for all the replies.

Usually if the grill has a leak internally, I would imagine it would catch fire. I would suspect a seal is leaking around the tank or possibly the connecting hose is faulty. I use propane for the crawfish cooker and once noticed that the tank valve was cracked (I exchange tanks instead of getting them refilled) and leaked when the valve was open. So it might not be the grill at all. Do you get your tank(s) refilled or do you exchange them? I think exchanged tanks are more likely to suffer abuse.

First time was a refill on a fairly new tank. This time it's an exchanged tank. I wonder if it is leaking while the valve is open.

I would use a sponge around the connections from the tank. Without the grill burning open the valve and douse with the soapy water, use lots of soap in the water. Start with the connection at the tank and work up to where it connects to the burner stem. If nothing there, take the grates out of the grill so you can see the burners exposed and light the grill. you may have a burned out hole in the line to the burner or the burner it's self.

I'll try with a sponge. Then, if nothing I will have a look under the grates. Thanks.

1.You should ALWAYS shut the gas off at the tank when not in use. Period.

2. If their is a leak, you should smell a pretty pungent odor around and/or under the grill -- propane (LP Gas) is heavier than air, it may not make it up to your nose level.

If you are not using a gas tank exchange, use one next time, and rule a leaking bottle out of the possibilities.

CD
Yup, we always shut off the the gas at the tank. Burners first, then the tank. Always.

The first time it happened we thought it was because we had bought a gauge so we would know how much was left in the tank. Second time we didn't put the gauge and instead of getting the tank refilled, we got an exchange.

If we don't have the storms promised for tomorrow, we will be checking with soapy water tomorrow.

I have a MasterCraft propane grill. It seems to have a leak. The propane is getting used up far too fast. This is the second tank where this is happening. I was thinking I should get some soapy water and try to find a leak. Any suggestions of how to do this? Do I spritz the soapy water on hoses, connectors, etc.? Do I did a sponge in the soapy water and somehow get it onto the hose, etc.? I remember seeing a plumber do this to check a connection on a stove, but I don't remember what he did to get the water onto the connection.

It's not uncommon the intake valve needing replacing.

Thanks for all the replies.

Yup, we always shut off the the gas at the tank. Burners first, then the tank. Always.

The first time it happened we thought it was because we had bought a gauge so we would know how much was left in the tank. Second time we didn't put the gauge and instead of getting the tank refilled, we got an exchange.

If we don't have the storms promised for tomorrow, we will be checking with soapy water tomorrow.

At some time in the far past, I was instructed to turn off the gas at the tank first, then turn off the burners. I don't know if it actually makes a difference, but that's how I do it.

At some time in the far past, I was instructed to turn off the gas at the tank first, then turn off the burners. I don't know if it actually makes a difference, but that's how I do it.

This IMO is the correct way. If you turn off the burners first, then turn off the tank, you will still have pressure on the lines.
Turn off tank. Then all gas is in the tank, not the lines.

This IMO is the correct way. If you turn off the burners first, then turn off the tank, you will still have pressure on the lines.
Turn off tank. Then all gas is in the tank, not the lines.
D'oh! You guys are right. It's been a long time since I used the grill. The hubster says he does it tank first. I was basically remembering that we carefully followed the instructions that came with the grill. Dodo here just didn't remember what those instructions were. :rolleyes:

One other caution: When you turn the gas on, do it slowly at first. The newer style valves have a safety lockout in them that cuts the flow to a bare minimum when you just crank it open. Just turn slowly for about one turn, then open all the way.

One other caution: When you turn the gas on, do it slowly at first. The newer style valves have a safety lockout in them that cuts the flow to a bare minimum when you just crank it open. Just turn slowly for about one turn, then open all the way.
I did not know that. Thank you for pointing it out. I will mention it to the hubster.

RPCookin, thank you again. Turning the valve too fast was the problem. That explains it. The first tank would hardly give us any flames, but when we went to exchange it for a full one, my DH had to move a bunch of empty tanks and said that ours felt like it was still half full. DH grilled some Italian sausage tonight. He very carefully turned the valve on slowly and bingo, the grill worked like when it was brand new.

I had never had an issue with opening the bottle valve too quickly.

If you open the bottle valve when one or more of the grill's burners is "ON", the grill will light with a minimal flame as a safety precaution. When that happens, you have to turn off the bottle and all the burners then reopen the gas bottle.

I had never had an issue with opening the bottle valve too quickly.

If you open the bottle valve when one or more of the grill's burners is "ON", the grill will light with a minimal flame as a safety precaution. When that happens, you have to turn off the bottle and all the burners then reopen the gas bottle.
I will have to ask Stirling if that could have been the problem.

Newer types of lpg hose now have a safety shutoff valve. (I'm not completely certain but think it's now a Federal Safety regulation for all new hoses manufactured after a certain date)

Some lpg equipment if you turn on the gas too fast the valve in lpg hose closes. While other times the hose shut-off valve become defective.

My Mr. Buddy heater after running for a while kept shutting off for no apparent reason. Mr. Heater sent me a replacement lpg hose and now it works fine.

Another thing with some Lpg equipment such as Mr. Heater heaters. If you connect an unregulated tank or gas source to the heater port (designed for unregulated 1 lbs portable bottles) Oils and plastic from the hose potentially leaches into the lpg gas and clogs up the heater after a certain amount of use.

Mr. Heater remedy is to either use a lpg filter between the hose and heater or to use one of the special hoses that made from hose material that doesn't leach when under high pressure.

You need to remember there are low pressure and high pressure lpg hoses. Where the low pressure hoses are designed to be used with regulated lpg gas.

So you don't want to use a low pressure lpg hose on an unregulated gas supply (or tank without a regulator).

Gas grills usually don't have problems with valves clogging as they normally use regulated low pressure gas. Plus I think ceramic heaters may use a more refined valving which is more susceptible to clogging from gas that's been leached with impurities.

Anyway I would also check your lpg hose for a shutoff valve. Older lpg hoses do not have them.

I don't think I've seen LP grills at any home improvement store. I think they are all propane, which can't use LP without being converted.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom