Pulled pork enhancement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taxlady

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
I have some frozen, store bought pulled pork. It's okay. We liked it the first time, but found it kinda boring the second time. What would you add to make it more interesting? I prefer easy suggestions. I want to serve it on buns.

honey/mustard sauce, or a little bit of ground cloves. Your favorited BBQ sauce will also kick it up a bit. Add a Carolina BBQ sauce to change it up a bit. A good, wet slaw (KFC Style)added to the bun can also do wonders for a pulled pork sandwich.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

If I don't make my own, I sometimes buy an Aldi packaged pulled pork.

I will add Knorr Caldo de Tomate for a kick of Mexican flavoring and use the product as a taco or burrito filling.

Ross

Fry up some onion, garlic, cumin and chile peppers , then add the pulled pork and a cup of orange juice. A decent shot at "Cochinito Pibil!

Lots of good suggestions above, so I'll just add French's Crispy Fried Onions. Pulled Pork sandwiches are the reason I keep a can in the pantry.

When I make pulled pork I save back rub and after pulling I toss rub in along with my vinegar sauce.

A whole butt that is smoked doesn't really have the ability to pick up all those good flavors and it is just too big so adding rub at the end is a way to help flavor more of the meat.

I have some frozen, store bought pulled pork. It's okay. We liked it the first time, but found it kinda boring the second time. What would you add to make it more interesting? I prefer easy suggestions. I want to serve it on buns.

Fry it in a cast iron skillet until the edges are crispy, add chopped onion, diced potatoes and julienned jalapeño, and whatever Mexican seasonings you like and roll it up in a large flour tortilla, burrito style, with some salsa picante, folding the sides in. To make it a breakfast burrito, add scrambled eggs. To make it a chimichanga, deep fry it.

I'd add a big dash of ACV. Of course, I add it to everything. Mustard as well. Maybe a touch of brown sugar and finely diced onion.

Man, now I'm hungry.

When I make pulled pork I save back rub and after pulling I toss rub in along with my vinegar sauce.

A whole butt that is smoked doesn't really have the ability to pick up all those good flavors and it is just too big so adding rub at the end is a way to help flavor more of the meat.

Recipe for your sauce, please, Frank.

Great suggestions. I also add my BBQ rub and sauce.

Recipe for your sauce, please, Frank.

Great suggestions. I also add my BBQ rub and sauce.

Basically:

2C Cider vinegar
1/2C Ketchup (or to taste)
1/4C brown sugar (or to taste)
salt
red pepper flakes
ground black and white peppers

I also add, at times:
Red onion
Jalapenos or serranoes
Garlic

Mix and use

When I make pulled pork I use this as both a finishing sauce and a table sauce

Basically:

2C Cider vinegar
salt
red pepper flakes

I also add, at times:
Red onion
Jalapenos or serranoes
Garlic

Mix and use

Thank you, it sounds great.

Basically:

2C Cider vinegar
salt
red pepper flakes

I also add, at times:
Red onion
Jalapenos or serranoes
Garlic

Mix and use

No cooking at all?

Chief's Southwestern BBQ Sauce

Though I'm a big fan pf Memphis style BBQ Sauce, with brown sugar, tomato
onion, chili powder, etc., and have been asked for my recipe, I also like to change things up. This recipe was first used as a dry rub for pork,. I then adapted it as a BBQ sauce, and it works great for carnitas, or pulled pork that has been fried a bit to get it those crispy bits. Then, the meat can be used in everything from bugler buns, to fresh corn tortillas, to burritos, or even home made tamales.

I like it. I hope it is of use to anyone who sees it.

2 tbs. Spanish Paprika
1/2tsp. Granulated Garlic
1/4 tsp. Red Pepper (Cayenne Pepper)
2 tbs tsp. minced Parsley
1/4 tsp. Coriander
1/2 tsp. Salt
2 tbs. Sriracha Sauce
1/4 tsp. Tabasco Sauce
12 oz. can diced tomato, with can liquor
1/2 cup diced onion
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
2 tbs. lime juice
1 tbs. cooking oil

Heat oil in a sauce pot over medium heat. Add dry herbs, spices, and onion. Stir until onion begins to soften. Add remaining ingredients. Turn heat to simmer, and cook for ten minutes. Remove from heat and cool. Place in clean, covered bowel, and place in fridge until ready to use.

Tip, to add flavor depth, you can add fresh, or dried peppers of your choice to this sauce.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Ketchup + mustard + sugar + soy sauce + chili... bring to a boil and cook for a minute or two, then add it to the pulled pork, mix and heat. Taste the mixture before mixing it with the meat, you need to reach the right balance of sweetness and acidity, so you might need to add more sugar or ketchup and salt if needed.

Fry up some onion, garlic, cumin and chile peppers , then add the pulled pork and a cup of orange juice. A decent shot at "Cochinito Pibil!

I gave this a try, sort of. I toasted some cumin and powdered it with a mortar and pestle. I fried up the onion, garlic, and a couple of jalapeños, added the pulled pork and the cumin. I didn't feel like using orange juice, but I had some tamarind sauce that we got with our order of Indian food on Sunday. I used a bit of that. I also added some vegi stock, because it looked too dry. It was good. Thanks for the ideas.

And thanks again to everyone who made suggestions. Darnit! I forgot to add some smoked paprika. Phooey.

I will be trying some of the other ideas in the future. That pulled pork is an excellent ingredient, as opposed to standing on its own.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom