Pumpkin shortbread bars - no food processor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daizymae

Washing Up
Hi, kids! Especially baking enthusiasts! I need your advice! I wish to make pumpkin bars with shortbread crust. The instructions state:

Place the chopped hazelnuts, flour, and salt in the bowl of your food processor fitted with a metal blade. Process the mixture until the hazelnuts are finely ground.

Read more: http://www.joyofbaking.com/barsandsquares/PumpkinBars.html#ixzz4MAipV6kp

I don't have a food processor. How do I get the above mixture done?

What's the difference between placing all 3 ingredients together in a food processor OR just grinding the nuts fine in a coffee grinder or blender, then adding them to the flour and salt? Does it matter? Is something special happening when all 3 are subjected to high speed metal blades at the same time?

Tks. I gotta get this done by this Sunday. :ermm:

I would grind the hazelnuts in small batches using a blender, a few quick pulses should do it.

If you don't have a blender then I would look at other options for the crust. Read a couple of recipes for lemon bars or graham cracker pie crust and you will find a good alternative.

Good luck!

I would just chop them in the blender or coffee grinder and add them to the flour and salt.

Many thanx, Aunt Bea & Blissful.

Yes, I do have a blender, an ancient one made of glass. :LOL:

Hi. So, I made these bars some time ago and they turned out fine without the uses of a food processer. I wish to make them again but do not want to line the 9 X 13 baking dish with "aluminum foil that has been buttered and floured" as instructed.

Do you think things would turn out all right if I just used parchment? What do the expert bakers here think? Is there anything special about aluminum VS parchment in this type of baking project?

I'm sooooo nervous about baking anything! :LOL:

Tks.

Hi, Daizy! No, there's nothing special about foil vs. parchment, except that foil is less expensive. Some recipe writers like to imply that their way is the only way, but that is not necessarily the case :)

While I despise baking, my go-to for pretty much anything is parchment paper. Your call.

The nice thing about foil is it can be rinsed and reused. And recycled with your tin cans.

Last edited:
IMO you don't really need foil or parchment paper for a recipe like this, just prepare the pan as instructed. You may have a little difficulty in getting the first couple bars out of the pan, save those for the cook. Once you have a clear corner the remaining bars should lift out easily with a thin bladed spatula.

Good luck!

Many thanx to the three of you for responding. So foil is not an absolute necessity then.

Aunt Bea: I was wondering about that, too. Seems there's enough fat (1/2 cup) in the bottom mixture to prevent any serious sticking.

I was concerned because when I see something coming from "joyofbaking" I figure this is from top of the line bakers and if they say something it must be true.;)

Back
Top Bottom