[Q] Using multiple extractions for making beef stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevecheeseman

Assistant Cook
I know a good stock can take 12+ hours of simmering, but how can I get the same result in a shorter time? I read using a pressure cooker helps reduce the time but I don't own a pressure cooker.

Making a stock is essentially a solid-liquid extraction - we want all of the flavour from the solid phase (meat, bones, vegetable) extracted into our liquid phase (water). I thought using multiple extractions which take advantage of Le Châtelier's Principle would increase the extraction efficiency. As you simmer your stock you start to dissolve the solids into water and as the water becomes mores saturated the longer it takes for additional solids to dissolve. Straining the liquid and replenishing the solids with fresh water should allow for more solids to dissolve.

Here's my idea: Simmer your solids for 2 hours, strain liquid, add fresh water, simmer for another 2 hours repeat one more time. Reduce the strained liquid to the desired final volume. Hopefully you have a stock in 6 hours that is just as good as one simmer for 12 hours.

The biggest flaw I can think of is if when making the broth if you aren't anywhere near saturation, replenishing with fresh water wouldn't push the equilibrium very far.
Does this idea merit a test for single vs multiple extractions using the same starting material and final volume of liquid?

Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking [emoji2]

Actually, a good beef stock can be done in four hours of simmering; you can go as long as 12 if you really want to, but it's not necessary.

Cutting the beef bones into pieces will allow the water and heat to render the collagen within much more quickly. Also, make sure to roast the bones for about 20 minutes first. It doesn't take a long time to extract flavor from vegetables and herbs.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking [emoji2]

Actually, a good beef stock can be done in four hours of simmering; you can go as long as 12 if you really want to, but it's not necessary.

Cutting the beef bones into pieces will allow the water and heat to render the collagen within much more quickly. Also, make sure to roast the bones for about 20 minutes first. It doesn't take a long time to extract flavor from vegetables and herbs.

Thanks for the response!
How appreciable if the difference between a 4 hour and stock and a 12 hour stock?

Steve,, you do realize this is a mostly home cook's forum? There are a few people here who are professionals in various food industry positions, but the vast majority of us are home cooks, some more accomplished than others, but still home cooks for the most part. Most of us don't use things like that paint gun that gives a velvet texture, get into the exact in depth science of things, etc. I applaud you for taking an interest in different things, but if you think this is a forum of pros, you are in the wrong place.

Steve,, you do realize this is a mostly home cook's forum? There are a few people here who are professionals in various food industry positions, but the vast majority of us are home cooks, some more accomplished than others, but still home cooks for the most part. Most of us don't use things like that paint gun that gives a velvet texture, get into the exact in depth science of things, etc. I applaud you for taking an interest in different things, but if you think this is a forum of pros, you are in the wrong place.

I appreciate the feedback since I’m new to the forum. Sorry if my post was a little technical, I just wanted to share my musings. I do realize this is a forum home cooks like myself, but are you familiar with any other forums where my question might be better suited?

I think techniques evolved to what they are for a reason and that reason would be because they reap the best results. There are many ways to skin a cat and many ways to get a good stock...I'll stick with the classic, tried and true methods...if it ain't broke, don't fix it....that is, if you have the time...

I get a lot of beef scrap from the roasts we cook up at the deli..One thing i do to speed up the process is brown them in a large pot with onions, peppercorns until I get a nice, thick fond on the bottom. Then, I add garlic, chopped celery and carrots and the water...scrape the bottom and you immediately get a nice brown color in your stock. Then, I begin the simmering process..I never go for 12 hours..I don't have the time...I cheat and supplement it with powdered beef base whenever I go to use it...gotta save time and money....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom