Quantities of msg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEEING-TO-BELIEVE

Head Chef
i'm writing a little article about MSG.
i'm wondering how to answer the question about how much of msg should be added to different foods

any ideas about that,

i already gave an example about using it in thick red lentils soup in the amount of 1 to 2 teaspoons for each cup of dried lentils.

i've wrote that if you are using tomato paste for instance you should cut the amount of msg in half.

any insights on how to help others figure out the amount to use?

i already gave an example about using it in thick red lentils soup in the amount of 1 to 2 teaspoons for each cup of dried lentils.

:bounce:

I use msg a lot but can’t fathom using that much. I’d use a pinch, like 1/8 of a teaspoon

yes,
later i read on the internet that others use it sparingly
i like to use a lot

so i've mentioned that in the page i wrote

I found this list that shows the amount of MSG in foods. I often add kombu to lentil soup, kombu's at the top of the msg list:

Food | Glutamic acid (mg/100g)

Kombu (giant sea kelp) 22,000
Parmigiano-Reggiano 2,000
Bonito 2,850
Sardines/Anchovies 2,800
Tomato Juice 2,600
Tomatoes 1,400
Pork 1,220
Beef 1,070
Chicken 760
Mushrooms 670

This is why products Worcestershire sauce, dashi broth, mashed anchovies and fish sauce are such good flavour-boosters.

Glutamic acid is not the same thing as monosodium glutamate (MSG). MSG is a sodium salt of glutamic acid. There can be health risks with ingestion of too much sodium.

Glutamic acid is not the same thing as monosodium glutamate (MSG). MSG is a sodium salt of glutamic acid. There can be health risks with ingestion of too much sodium.

The glutamate occuring naturally in food is exactly the same as the glutamate in MSG.
Here's an article from the Food Lab at Serious Eats about MSG and its relationship to glutamic acid:
https://www.seriouseats.com/ask-the-food-lab-the-truth-about-msg
In this article, it says "the glutamate present in MSG is chemically identical to the glutamate naturally found in all kinds of foods".

If you want to reduce your sodium intake while still having the flavour-enhancing effects of MSG, why not add the best part of MSG - the glutamates - and avoid the extra sodium?

The glutamate occuring naturally in food is exactly the same as the glutamate in MSG.
Here's an article from the Food Lab at Serious Eats about MSG and its relationship to glutamic acid:
https://www.seriouseats.com/ask-the-food-lab-the-truth-about-msg
In this article, it says "the glutamate present in MSG is chemically identical to the glutamate naturally found in all kinds of foods".

If you want to reduce your sodium intake while still having the flavour-enhancing effects of MSG, why not add the best part of MSG - the glutamates - and avoid the extra sodium?

That was my point. But, glutamates are not the same thing as MSG. It's not generally something one adds to food by itself. It's contained in those foods that have a lot of glutamic acid. I have never seen or heard of glutamic acid being for sale, by itself, which is what you would want, if you didn't want the added sodium and didn't want to add a food with high glutamic acid.

That was my point. But, glutamates are not the same thing as MSG. It's not generally something one adds to food by itself. It's contained in those foods that have a lot of glutamic acid. I have never seen or heard of glutamic acid being for sale, by itself, which is what you would want, if you didn't want the added sodium and didn't want to add a food with high glutamic acid.

The first thing that comes to mind is Trader Joe’s Umami or Mushroom seasoning. There are other, probably better, examples. Personally, I find Kombu added to the cooking water for beans or lentils works very well. Also mushroom powder or mashed anchovy. You can’t taste the mushroom or anchovy, but the glutamates cone through.Just found this — looks good, though might be salty:
https://www.amazon.ca/TSUKUDANI-Jap...g,aps,123&sr=8-9#immersive-view_1643781838575

Last edited:
The first thing that comes to mind is Trader Joe’s Umami or Mushroom seasoning. There are other, probably better, examples. Personally, I find Kombu added to the cooking water for beans or lentils works very well. Also mushroom powder or mashed anchovy. You can’t taste the mushroom or anchovy, but the glutamates cone through.

That's the kind of thing I do. I'm a big fan of fish sauce. But, that won't answer the OP about how much MSG to add.

That's the kind of thing I do. I'm a big fan of fish sauce. But, that won't answer the OP about how much MSG to add.
Looks like you and I do the same thing. I also add fish sauce to pretty much everything. Can't go wrong with Red Boat 40! I bought their Red Boat 40 salt, now that is intense, and very, very salty. Not for everyday use, that's for sure.
I have no idea how much MSG to put into anything, can't help Seeing with that one.

I don't think there is a definite answer for the question. Taste for individuals varies too widely.

As with anything you start with a small amount and add til it pleases you and hopefully not gag anyone else.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom