Quest for the Perfect Oatmeal Raisin Cookie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BubbaGourmet

Senior Cook
As much as I dislike baking, it appears that I am going to have to add another baked item to my repetoire. I am looking for the absolute best oatmeal raisin cookie recipe on the planet. If you have a good one, please share it. I want them to be soft, flavorful and preferably made with at least somemolasses. I plan on macerating the raisins and some pecans in a little brandy before adding them to the cookie dough. I don't know if that will affect the recipe but thought it might help anyone with a great recipe.

Babba, I am also looking for a good soft oatmeal raisin, It seems that the oatmeal makes a soft cookie hard in a short time.
I always go back to my soft raisin cookie recipe that I posted before, boiling the raisins seems to be the key in that recipe.

Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

OK, if one of the bakers in this group wants to test this feel free. I found it in my collection and thought I'd post it. Baking just takes too much effort - I know there's someone here that can whip these up.

CHEWY OATMEAL COOKIES
1 cup sifted flour
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
3/4 cup butter flavor shortening
1 1/3 cups packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups uncooked rolled oats
1 cup raisins (I combine dark and golden)
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I use English or black walnuts)

Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl. Add next 4 ingredients. Beat about 2 minutes till smooth. Stir in oats, raisins, and nuts; drop by heaping teaspoonsful onto greased cookie sheets. Bake at 350° for 12 to 15 minutes. Makes about 5 dozen

(I can assure you whenever it says the word "I" it is not referring to "me"!! LOL) I don't remember where this recipe came from so if the "I" is really "you" speak up!

Bubba, I found this recipe, I may try it this weekend.

CHEWY OATMEAL COOKIES

1 cup butter
2 cups granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 tablespoon molasses
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups oatmeal
1 cup raisins
1 cup chopped walnuts

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, molasses and vanilla extract, mixing well. Add flour, cinnamon, baking soda and oatmeal. Mix well. Stir in raisins and nuts. Drop onto cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees F for 13 minutes.

Chris and Bubba,
I'll try these this weekend also. My daughter Jen is home from college (spring break) and wants cookies. I made a batch 2 days ago but between my husband and grandma... :roll: ...nothing left for Jen. I'll let you know how they turn out. I like molasses in a cookie...gives it a good taste. :D

MIcook, Thanks ahead for trying the recipe, Remember the commercial "let Mikey try it" :LOL: :LOL:

I decided to make my favorite Moist chocolate cake this weekend instead of cookies. We just finished a batch of the soft raisins. So I am cookied out :shock:

I posted the recipe for the cake. Enjoy everyone !

The third batch of cookies are baking. The first batch was a little flat so I added 1/4 cup of flour to the rest of the dough. Second batch was perfect. Flavor was excellent. I like the cinnamon in it and the hint of molasses. I didnt have nuts so just used raisins. Also, I wasnt sure whether to use old fashioned oats or quick oats so I used 1/2 of each. I baked them at 340 ...because I was using a dark cookie sheet. The texture is chewy not crisp. My daughter and I agree the recipe is a keeper. :D

:idea: A quick note about the cookies:
Put them into plastic bags or containers after they cool down. I put away some in zip lock bags for my daughter to take back to school with her and those are still chewy. The ones I kept in the tin and cookie jar became crisp in a day.

WOOHOO! Thanks for the recipes BubbaGourmet! I was looking for them on another site and couldn't find them. Thanks to Lady Dee for suggesting I look over here and seeing her name led me right to them. Thanks to you both!

Alright. There are two recipes posted here. Which one's better? I'm craving some oatmeal raisin cookies so bad. I'm getting tired of chocolate chip.

Dina

I am going to try these recipes and HOPEFULLY soemthing will work.....I have the absolute WORST luck when it comes to baking Oatmeal cookies...they end up like lace cookies or so very dry I'm imbarrased to put them in lunches.....could be jsut the recipe....hmmmm

Alix,

Got me the molasses even though you told me what they can cause. LOL I'm going to bake these oatmeal cookies this week.

Dina

Back
Top Bottom