Question about fresh green chilies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunnysmile

Cook
I received some green chilies....not sure what kind they are. Looked on the internet, and they look like Hatch green chilies. If I roast and peel, then dice them, are these comparable to the small cans of diced green chiles by Ortega? I love those, so I'm hoping these are the right kind. I'm discovering how much I don't know about cooking, even though I've been cooking 25 years. I guess I got stuck in a rut and only cooked the same things my mom cooked. Time to branch out! (25 years? about time....);)

Since you don't know what kind of chilies you have, you might want to process them using rubber gloves. The seeds and the veins especially can affect skin on hands and faces as well as eyes and sometimes it takes a while for the burning to stop.

In general terms if they are large green chilis pablanos or Hatch (which I believe is a New Mexico grown in that area) they do very in heat but don't have the potency of the smaller green chilis like serrano or jalapeno.

So, when will the green chili stew be ready?:)

Craig

Green chili stew, that sounds good...everyone is invited as soon as I can find a good recipe! Tasted the end of one, it's pretty mild. I'm sure flavor will be better with roasting.

Green chili stew, that sounds good...everyone is invited as soon as I can find a good recipe! Tasted the end of one, it's pretty mild. I'm sure flavor will be better with roasting.

I made a new recipe for chili verde tonight and it's pretty good. I'll post it in the appropriate forum.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom