Question on cooking oils

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I usually have vegetable oil, extra virgin olive oil and sesame oil (kept in fridge) on hand.
I use vegetable mostly for cooking.
EVOO for salads and such.
Sesame for Asian inspired dishes.
I also use peanut oil for Asian and frying when I have it.

Other oils I use occasionally and have on hand are kalamata olive oil, avocado oil, flax seed oil, grape seed oil and coconut oil.

Last edited:
+1 I agree.

Lard is pork
Tallow is beef or sheep

Those are both useful as shortening substitutes.

Depending on what it will be used for, bacon fat, chicken fat, goose fat, or duck fat are also useful. I have read old recipes for cake that used goose fat as the shortening. It's supposed to be a really good fat in cake. I haven't tried it myself.

Those are both useful as shortening substitutes.

Depending on what it will be used for, bacon fat, chicken fat, goose fat, or duck fat are also useful. I have read old recipes for cake that used goose fat as the shortening. It's supposed to be a really good fat in cake. I haven't tried it myself.

My mom told me she made chocolate chip cookies with chicken fat once. She said they were really good. I haven't tried it.

I have always had sesame oil on hand. A great flavoring oil. :yum:

Ross

That is one seasoning oil I always have on hand, too. Back in the 80s, when I cooked a lot of Chinese food, and tested many brands of ingredients, I decided that Kadoya was the best brand - I had a few go rancid, and figured that they had other oils mixed in. Amazingly, I never had any Kadoya go bad at room temperature, while I learned, early on, that raw sesame oil was very prone to rancidity, unless refrigerated. I don't even remember the last time I bought raw sesame oil - one of those neutral oils, for cooking, called for a lot in Indian recipes, but it's not for the flavor, just because it is one their most common oils. Not the dark sesame oil, used for Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and SE Asian foods.

Last edited:
I like having sesame oil on hand. The one I buy is made by St-Viateur Bagel, a famous Montreal bagel bakery. They have loads of toasted sesame seeds falling off their brick oven baked bagels. So, they decided to put them to good use. It's nice sesame oil.

I wad watching a cooking show recently about Moroccan recipes, and one of the families were very specific about the oils used in their dish called Mejmar (red)Tagine. It was a combination of regular olive oil, not evoo, and sunflower oil.

I hope to try to make this soon using lamb shanks as I got a big tagine last year as a gift.

That is one seasoning oil I always have on hand, too. Back in the 80s, when I cooked a lot of Chinese food, and tested many brands of ingredients, I decided that Kadoya was the best brand - I had a few go rancid, and figured that they had other oils mixed in. Amazingly, I never had any Kadoya go bad at room temperature, while I learned, early on, that raw sesame oil was very prone to rancidity, unless refrigerated. I don't even remember the last time I bought raw sesame oil - one of those neutral oils, for cooking, called for a lot in Indian recipes, but it's not for the flavor, just because it is one their most common oils. Not the dark sesame oil, used for Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and SE Asian foods.

I have long used Shirakiku 100% Pure Sesame Oil. All natural. Expeller-Pressed. I have never refrigerated it.
I keep it, in a cool dark cabinet with my fish sauce, soy sauce and other not refrigerated Asian products.

Ross

Back
Top Bottom