Questions/advice about Thermapen DOT

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roll_Bones

Master Chef
I ordered a Thermapen DOT - https://www.thermoworks.com/dot/
Impulse buy I guess. But I have a use for it outside with my new Weber Kettle and for inside with the oven.
I have always wondered how the cable for the thermocouple can stand being crushed between the grill lid and the grill body?
Similarly between the oven door and the oven. The oven door not so much.
They do touch on this in the instructions and they actually do not recommend crushing the cable but do not say you cannot do it.
You would think today grill manufacturers would take this into account and provide a slot in the lid for the cable/wire?
My question is for those who use this type of thermometer when grilling or smoking. Do you have issue crushing the cable between the lid and the grill body?

I'v had a Dot for years. I appreciate their simplicity. No preprogrammed temps to tell me when my BEEF or CHICKEN are cooked properly.

There is padding between the oven door and the oven body. That will protect the cable. With the Weber kettle, I feed the cable through the vent hole. That works, but taking the lid on and off requires some care.

A replacement cable costs almost as much as a new Dot. Don't ask me how I know.

I don't have a DOT but I do have a Fireboard. I installed 2 cable ports in my smoker so the lid (really heavy bugger) wouldn't sit on the cables.

I don't know if the lid for the kettle is heavy enough to worry about.

...I don't know if the lid for the kettle is heavy enough to worry about.

I think it is, Frank. I had to replace the cable to my Dot. I believe it's because I was closing the Weber's lid on it when smoking.

I think it is, Frank. I had to replace the cable to my Dot. I believe it's because I was closing the Weber's lid on it when smoking.

Okie dokie.

Like I said I don't have the DOT so I don't know how robust their cables are.

I don't have a DOT but I do have a Fireboard. I installed 2 cable ports in my smoker so the lid (really heavy bugger) wouldn't sit on the cables.

I don't know if the lid for the kettle is heavy enough to worry about.

I like the idea of the cable port and I was thinking of a DIY port myself. But a slot in the lid seems to be the best way to do this.
Using the top vent would be very inconvenient. When removing the lid you would have to remove the cable from the Dot itself or the meat.
Maybe the bottom vents would be a better place to bring it in? Then it could stay connected when removing the lid.
Maybe I just answered my own question....lol

My biggest concern here is drilling a hole in the new Weber Kettle. The grill has a coating on it and if I were to drill into it, I would loose this protection around the hole I would have to make. (rust)
My concern is not the weight of the lid, but the way the lid and the body meet. Its an "L" shape and it seems like a bad idea.
However, I see people doing this all the time on TV.

The lid on my new Weber is quite heavy. Its the 26". Good thing for the lid holder.

Okie dokie.
Like I said I don't have the DOT so I don't know how robust their cables are.
Its robust. Its a thermocouple wire braided with what looks to be stainless steel. But its thin and has to be for closing doors and lids on it.
I think the bottom vent holes would be the best place to enter the grill body.
It could stay connected the whole time you are cooking and would not be in the way. But it would need to be away from flames or hot coals. The cable is rated at 700f.

Last edited:
...Using the top vent would be very inconvenient. When removing the lid you would have to remove the cable from the Dot itself or the meat...

I think the bottom vent holes would be the best place to enter the grill body.
It could stay connected the whole time you are cooking and would not be in the way. But it would need to be away from flames or hot coals. The cable is rated at 700f.

RB, it's not necessary to disconnect other end of the cable when opening the lid. i just lift the lid and hang it on the side of the Weber. The cable just slides through the vent hole.

I'd be really concerned about the cable being too close to the hot charcoal regardless of its rating.

I like the idea of the cable port and I was thinking of a DIY port myself. But a slot in the lid seems to be the best way to do this.
Using the top vent would be very inconvenient. When removing the lid you would have to remove the cable from the Dot itself or the meat.
Maybe the bottom vents would be a better place to bring it in? Then it could stay connected when removing the lid.
Maybe I just answered my own question....lol

My biggest concern here is drilling a hole in the new Weber Kettle. The grill has a coating on it and if I were to drill into it, I would loose this protection around the hole I would have to make. (rust)
My concern is not the weight of the lid, but the way the lid and the body meet. Its an "L" shape and it seems like a bad idea.
However, I see people doing this all the time on TV.

When I got my Yoder loaded Wichita I took several deep breaths before putting 2 x 7/8 holes in the 1/4inch steel. I bought a step bit for metal specifically for this job. The upside is since it is just pipe steel it could be patched with a welder if needed. The whole process went pretty smooth.

The Weber kettle is enameled and I do not know how that would drill, but you would not be the first person to put a hole in one. Go slow and get the right bit for it. Once you have the hole drilled you can seal the port in with high temp silicon, you will be fine.

RB, it's not necessary to disconnect other end of the cable when opening the lid. i just lift the lid and hang it on the side of the Weber. The cable just slides through the vent hole.
I'd be really concerned about the cable being too close to the hot charcoal regardless of its rating.
Good point Andy. But I think keeping the cable away from direct heat would be the easy part. I cannot imagine having it through the top vent. When slow cooking yes. Grilling not so much.
I always have a cool side on the grill and now with the bigger grill I will have even more room for the cable.

I wrap aluminum foil around the cable at the point of impact. Works for me.
Good idea. Seems that would help. Thanks

When I got my Yoder loaded Wichita I took several deep breaths before putting 2 x 7/8 holes in the 1/4inch steel. I bought a step bit for metal specifically for this job. The upside is since it is just pipe steel it could be patched with a welder if needed. The whole process went pretty smooth.

The Weber kettle is enameled and I do not know how that would drill, but you would not be the first person to put a hole in one. Go slow and get the right bit for it. Once you have the hole drilled you can seal the port in with high temp silicon, you will be fine.

Yep Frank. My concern is the enamel coating. Seems it would crack especially when I would need to center punch before drilling. I have step bits already and an assortment of diamond tip drill bits. Thanks

Good point Andy. But I think keeping the cable away from direct heat would be the easy part. I cannot imagine having it through the top vent. When slow cooking yes. Grilling not so much.
I always have a cool side on the grill and now with the bigger grill I will have even more room for the cable...

My bad, RB. The only time I use the Dot is when I'm smoking on the Weber. I use a Thermopen for grilling.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom