Quick tomato paste

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pepperhead212

Executive Chef
Well, not totally quick, as I started it a couple nights ago, in the dehydrator! :LOL:

This morning I made the paste, using some slightly dried tomatoes - not dry enough that they could be stored, but it removed a lot of the moisture, making it much faster than cooking down sauce, and much cleaner! I went through my junk tomatoes a couple nights ago, and cored them, and cut out the bad spots, and put them on parchment, in the dehydrator, and reduced to about 1/4 the original weight. Turns out, I had to add a little more water, to get it to circulate in the Vitamix, but I got it circulating, and left it on high for about 3 minutes - the skin and seeds are GONE after this, and it's steaming slightly. Usually, skin and seeds have to me removed at some point, using a food mill, but with tomatoes, as well as chile peppers, skins and seeds are totally ground up in the VM. I learned that the first time I made one of those things in it, and went to press it through a strainer, and there was nothing in it! This took less than 20 minutes, not including cutting up the tomatoes, and the dehydrating!
Half dried tomatoes, blended in Vitamix, until steamy, about 3 minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I wiped a wok lightly with oil, before adding the paste, and cooked it on med-high, scraping almost constantly - like cooking a Mexican paste.
Tomato paste cooked in wok on med-high, for just a minute. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I cooked it about 7 minutes - what I cook most of those Mexican sauces for - to get it to a thick paste.
Tomato paste, cooked for 7 minutes, ready to cool. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Tomato paste, cooked and cooling, to put in the freezer - a little over 5 lbs cooked down to 13.5 oz. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

That can't be like the canned stuff. Seems like it is going to have much better flavor. I would really like to taste it.

T

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom