Raspberry Fool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Unlike the Blackberry Fool recipe, This desert is more of a pudding. Like the former, it is very refreshing and wonderful on a hot evening. It is served cold and is great with whipped cream.

I couldn't find the original recipe and so built this from memory. I do remember that the original was made with white bread, but I'm a health-conscious kind of guy and feel the whole wheat bread should work just as well. If not, go with the white bread. You also might want to change the ratio of sweetener to berries, depending on your sweet tooth, and the flavor of the berry. Also, I can see this recipe working with blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, etc. In any case, enjoy. Oh, and as with eveery recipe I ever post, I invite you to experiment with it, add different spices, herbs, and flavorings. This might be great with fresh mint leafs as a garnish (I'll never know as I detest the flavor of mint), or with a bit of cinnamon, or nutmeg thrown in. You might add raisons to the raspberry mix. Be creative. Make the recipe unique. Make it yours.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Wow! I forgot the most important part, the recipe1 :blush:

Here it is. Sorry freinds.

Raspberry Fool

This is a delectably sweet and refreshing desert for any occasion. The recipe looks messy, but turns into a wonderful pudding.

Ingredients:
3 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
1 cup sugar, or Splenda
½ tsp. salt
1 loaf whole-wheat bread
½ stick butter

Wash, then mash the berries with the sugar, or Splenda, and salt. Let sit in the refrigerator.

Butter the sides and bottom of a 9 inch cake pan with two inch sides. Remove the crust from three slices of bread and line the sides and bottom of the pan to form a solid crust. Fill with an eighth inch layer of the raspberry filling. Top with a layer of crustless bread. Add more filling.

Continue layering the filling and bread until you have almost reached the pan top. The final layer should be bread. Place a heavy plate on top, taking care not to squish out the raspberry filling and place in the fridge overnight. Serve with whipped cream.

This sounds so delish! Me, being the "non-healthy-when-it-comes-to-dessert" person...which types of white bread would work best? Thick & dense, like a potato bread? or more soft, like a hawaiian bread? Would a thin-sliced french bread be good?

and how would a vanilla sauce be as a topping rather than whipping cream?

Personally, if I didn't have to watch my carbs, I'd make it with English Muffin bread, or even get a little crazy and use shortcake. And Vanilla Sauce would be very good with the raspberry.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom