Recipe for each US state

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not fond of garlic sauce Davo, thanks for the thought though.

Cold pizza is a staple of every University students diet. That and pasta in any form!

Tell me truthfully, you folks down south don't try gravy on your fries? Lordy what you are missing! I'm not even going to talk about poutine...ohhhhh my arteries!
The first time I had gravy of fries was in Maryland. It seems to be very common there. Of course Maryland Blue Crab Cakes have to be the most famous food there.

Here in Georgia, we have alot of BBQ also, served with coleslaw and bbq beans.
Another staple dinner is fried catfish, coleslaw, french fries and hushpuppies. :pig:

silvercliff_46 said:
Ummmmmmmmm! Yah! pasties! I could eat those breakfast, lunch and dinner forever.:w00t2:

Apple pie maybe Washington, but slap a piece of cheese on top and your definitely in Wisconsin.

Apple pie with cheese is a British thing.... Wensleydale and Lancashire crumbly cheeses served with the apple pie is a traditional way of eating it.:)

Just from my neck of the woods - and not including the haggis mentioned by Lulu:

Dundee cake
Scones
wonderful cheeses including dunlop and Isle of Mull cheddar and Dunsire Blue
Venison roasts and stews
Aberdeen Angus beef - as roasts, mince n tatties, stews and steak pies
Selkirk bannocks
Parlies
Soups like cock a leekie, cullen skink, partan bree, Scotch broth and lentil soup
Black bun
Breads and rolls - eg Aberdeen rowies
Clootie dumplings
Pies, savoury and sweet
Mutton pies
Bridies (sort of Scottish Cornish pasties)
and of course, the famous Scottish shortbread!

..... and that's just of the top of my head!

Davo,

OK, well the ones that spring to mind -besides chips! - the student's diet any where, but not necessarily with the northern sauces - any way! - Yorkshire pudding, one of the most famous and best, and Parkin! stottie cakes. Some of Britains best meat and bacon! Wendsleydale cheeses, Yorkshire hams, and tasty chuntnies to make these into Ploughmans, Sea food from Scarborough, and kippers from Craster, oatcakes, all the Newcastle Ales! Pan haggerty! Pease pudding, and yes, I am assured that the best fish and chips is from the North East. I am thinking of wonderful slow stews flavoured with brown ale and root vegetables.

I am visiting Newcastle next week and I plan to have fish and chips with a Brown Dog. Coz my husband isn't coming so there is no pressure to behave like a "lady" ;)

Once you know the local ingrediants well, and think how they work together you come up with some pretty wonderful meals!

Ishbel said:
Just from my neck of the woods - and not including the haggis mentioned by Lulu:

Dundee cake
Scones
wonderful cheeses including dunlop and Isle of Mull cheddar and Dunsire Blue
Venison roasts and stews
Aberdeen Angus beef - as roasts, mince n tatties, stews and steak pies
Selkirk bannocks
Parlies
Soups like cock a leekie, cullen skink, partan bree, Scotch broth and lentil soup
Black bun
Breads and rolls - eg Aberdeen rowies
Clootie dumplings
Pies, savoury and sweet
Mutton pies
Bridies (sort of Scottish Cornish pasties)
and of course, the famous Scottish shortbread!

..... and that's just of the top of my head!

That's wonderful Ishbel! What's the wonderful Scottish pudding with raspberries and cream and oats and honey and whiskey...the name escapes me?

And, er, you forgot the vital single malt....lol ;)

I agree Phinz! Yummmmers!

I think if Washington had a state pie ( it might...I have no idea) it would have to be apple. We grow a ton of them in the eastern part of the state.

Gravy on cheesy fries!!! Yum!!!! I always thought that was a Southern thang; seeing as how half of my Mom's family originally came from that area.

Lulu
Cranachan - made with whisky, oats, raspberries (or any seasonal soft fruit like gooseberries or loganberries or blackberries) and CREAM. Yum! I think I put a recipe on here a long time ago.

I didn't forget the alcohol..... of course we have the best single-malts in the world! And what about Drambuie? Great beaten into some double cream and served with mince-pies at Christmas

Hi Lulu,

Ah yes a bottle of dog and fish and chips nothing better.

Don't forget to drink the night away on the quayside - not to be missed:rolleyes:

Ishbe, did you miss out square sausage? My Nana used to make it for me :LOL:

I love gravy on fries (but I love gravy on anything). There is a place in Burlington VT (way up North) called Nectars. They are famous for their gravy fries.

Yeah for MA I would go with Clam Chowder I guess.

Ishbel said:
Lulu
Cranachan - made with whisky, oats, raspberries (or any seasonal soft fruit like gooseberries or loganberries or blackberries) and CREAM. Yum! I think I put a recipe on here a long time ago.

I didn't forget the alcohol..... of course we have the best single-malts in the world! And what about Drambuie? Great beaten into some double cream and served with mince-pies at Christmas

Of course "cranachan" thank you Ishbel! Delicious. I went through a big cranachan phase when i was about 11 and made it almost every evening :pig:

I doubt I'll get to the quay with my dog and fish Davo....but I'll enjoy it nonetheless.:wacko: :ROFLMAO:

Seven S said:
South Carolina... Charleston has its famous "Shrimp & Grits" --- mmm... delicious!!!

I'd place She Crab Soup above Shrimp n Grits any day, and it is *completely* indigenous to Charleston (paradise on earth, IMNSHO). :chef:

Loprraine said:
Maryland = Crabcakes.:)

Maryland is famous internationally for fried chicken
Nationally for Chesapeake blue crabs, the prime ingredient in crab cakes, red or Maryland crab soup (vegetable not cream based and quite spicey), and just hard crabs and beer...au natural

Back
Top Bottom