Recipe for each US state

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
California is a bit hard to pin down because of it's size and diversity, both as to ethnicity and climate, but a couple of very typical California dishes come to mind:

Guacamole
Olives
Coippino
Abalone
Sourdough bread
Santa Maria BBQ
Zinfandel
Boysenberry Pie
Just about any kind of fresh fruit or vegetable you can think of.

North Carolina has it's pulled pork with vinegar bbq suace and coleslaw.
Texas is def. where the beef brisket bbq is at as well as the earlier mentioned tex-mex.
Folks in Missouri eat a lot of fried pork tenderloin sandwiches. yummy!

north carolina is quite complex:

On the east coast, the dominant ingredients in the sauce are vinegar and hot peppers. Proceeding west into the Piedmont (as in Lexington), the sauce (called "dip" by the locals) becomes more tomato- or ketchup-based, but usually never as thick as commercial (Texas-style) sauces. In the eastern part of the state, the whole hog is typically used; in the west, sometimes only pork shoulders are used for barbecue. But under any circumstances, North Carolinian use of the term "barbecue" will refer to slow cooked pork, and not to backyard cookouts, or any sort of beef, chicken or other meats, regardless of how they are prepared. Some North Carolinians will deny that "barbecue" exists outside of North Carolina.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regional_variations_of_barbecue#North_Carolina

GB said:
I love gravy on fries (but I love gravy on anything). There is a place in Burlington VT (way up North) called Nectars. They are famous for their gravy fries.

Yeah for MA I would go with Clam Chowder I guess.

:rolleyes: good guess but sorry gb, everyone outside of massachusetts knows that rhode island clam chowder is tops.

also from little rhodey: littlenecks, stuffed quohogs and, saving the best for last, johnny cakes.

cranberries and chorizo are the two top contenders coming from mass.

icon12.gif

Interesting!! Since the state tree of Texas is the pecan tree it goes without saying that pecan pie is the choice of pies. Today a Houston Chronicle article discussed a current debate of whether our state dessert should be pecan pie or Blue Bell vanilla ice cream (delicious) and compromised that a new flavor of BB has just come out that may settle the debate once and for all: pecan vanilla ice cream. But as far as pies go: PECAN!!

expatgirl said:
Today a Houston Chronicle article discussed a current debate of whether our state dessert should be pecan pie or Blue Bell vanilla ice cream (delicious) and compromised that a new flavor of BB has just come out that may settle the debate once and for all: pecan vanilla ice cream. But as far as pies go: PECAN!!

Blue Bell Ice Cream... Now *that* I miss. I have found it outside Tejas, though. It's just very, very rare.

I can remember trips to the factory in Brenham as a kid. Good memories. :chef:

Last edited:
rlc912 said:
North Carolina has it's pulled pork with vinegar bbq suace and coleslaw.
Texas is def. where the beef brisket bbq is at as well as the earlier mentioned tex-mex.
Folks in Missouri eat a lot of fried pork tenderloin sandwiches. yummy!
Fried pork tenderloin sandwiches sound good --- pork rules !

phinz said:
Blue Bell Ice Cream... Now *that* I miss. I have found it outside Tejas, though. It's just very, very rare.

I can remember trips to the factory in Brenham as a kid. Good memories. :chef:

Me, too, Phinz---glad that you've found it elsewhere--good memories is right???:rolleyes:

I was jealous about 2 years ago when one of the girls I work with got a package here at work. It was a shipment of Blue Bell, packed in dry ice. I told her I was going to steal it when she wasn't looking. :mrgreen:

Hey, let's not forget about Kentucky's fast horses and bourbon. I always make it a point to watch the Derby every first Saturday in May, so we won't talk about putting horsies on our menu. But, bourbon is another story.

I love bread pudding and have discovered a recipe that is worth diving into and smearing all over your body. It comes from the Oak Room in the Seelbach Hilton Hotel in Louisville and is made with, of course, bourbon. If you're ever in Louisville, you owe it to yourself to have dinner at the Oak Room. The hotel is a very old southern-style place and is reminiscent of a movie set.

The Oak Room's bread pudding is awesome. I found the recipe for it in a great Kentucky cookbook called Splendor in the Bluegrass, which is filled with wonderful recipes. The "Green Bean Bundles" are wonderful as a company side dish.

Last edited:
Hard to say what Indiana's would be, but my guess is that it would have corn in it. Cornbread perhaps? Though I owuld hardly say we're famous for it...

NW Indiana, where I'm from, is actually an estranged part of Chicago, if you ask the folks who live there. We all like to pretend we're from Chicago, and we love our deep dish pizzas, and chicago-style hot dogs, and our ridiculusly overpriced steak and chophouses, just like they do in Chicago.

I think other than that, the food culture is decidedly southern style. There's quite a bit of farmland here, mostly corn and soy, so there's no great hubs for the culinary masterminds that are surely lurking somewhere in this poor state...

I think popcorn might be closest to the mark. We didn't invent it, but Orville Redenbacker made it famous in Valporaiso, IN.

for PA, pork roast, red taters, sauerkraut, fresh black pepper, roasted together. it's delicious. i'm very German, tee-hee.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom