Recipe for Girl Scout Lemonades cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jennifer Murphy

Senior Cook
I love almost all Girl Scout cookies, but this year the Lemonades really stole my heart (and stomach). I see quite a few recipes on various websites. Can anyone suggest one that comes closest to the real thing? Naturally, I am not trying to replicate the exact design, just the taste.

Thanks

Discuss Cooking 20230426 Lemonades 01.jpgDiscuss Cooking 20230426 Lemonades 02.jpg
Discuss Cooking 20230426 Lemonades 03.jpgDiscuss Cooking 20230426 Lemonades 04.jpg

OK LOL - let's try it this way... you have tasted them? Did it taste like shortbread? Did the icing taste lemony? :ROFLMAO:

I read the label too! :ROFLMAO:

OK LOL - let's try it this way... you have tasted them? Did it taste like shortbread? Did the icing taste lemony? :ROFLMAO:

I read the label too! :ROFLMAO:
Yes, I have tasted them. I have tasted all 3 boxes of them. Thay's why I want to make some of my own so I don't have to wait a year for the next cookie drive.

I don't know what shortbread is or tastes like, but the icing definitey had a "tangy lemon flavor".

LOL, well, now we know were the Guides got them! I hope our $$tore has them too. Jennifer you've got my mouth watering! I like shortbread and Lemon icing!

Aunt Bea those Lemon drops look like they would be perfect.

took me a bit but finally found the recipe I grew up with...

Shortbread.jpg

LOL, well, now we know were the Guides got them! I hope our $$tore has them too. Jennifer you've got my mouth watering! I like shortbread and Lemon icing!

Aunt Bea those Lemon drops look like they would be perfect.

took me a bit but finally found the recipe I grew up with...

View attachment 64395
We used to make a similar cornstarch shortbread called Melting Moments.

We dusted them with powdered sugar. At Christmas we would put a piece of red or green candied cherry in the center.

Yes, I have tasted them. I have tasted all 3 boxes of them. Thay's why I want to make some of my own so I don't have to wait a year for the next cookie drive.

I don't know what shortbread is or tastes like, but the icing definitey had a "tangy lemon flavor".
Shortbread tastes like these cookies you've been eating, minus the icing.

I'm not sure what the purpose is of the cornstarch in dragnlaw's recipe, but I like this one: https://www.simplyrecipes.com/classic-shortbread-cookies-recipe-5268402

Icing is super easy to make. The butter in this recipe is what helps it harden: https://julieblanner.com/3-ingredient-lemon-glaze-recipe/

GG I believe the corn starch along with the icing sugar is what gives it that "melt in your mouth" texture. You should try it. Like Aunt Bea says, around Christmas you have decorate with glace red and green cherries.

I've never made them with regular sugar. Only ever icing sugar.

GG I believe the corn starch along with the icing sugar is what gives it that "melt in your mouth" texture. You should try it. Like Aunt Bea says, around Christmas you have decorate with glace red and green cherries.

I've never made them with regular sugar. Only ever icing sugar.
The recipe I posted - which uses powdered sugar, not icing sugar (I'm not even sure what that is) - also melts in your mouth, from the heat.

It isn't Christmas-time and we're talking about recreating lemon Girl Scout cookies, so I'm totally confused about why anyone would decorate them with red and green cherries.

CG took the words right out of my mouth. :LOL:

GG, both Aunt Bea and I were reminiscing about how Shortbread is very often decorated at Christmas with the cherries. No one said to decorate the Lemon shortbread cookies sold by the Girl Guides with cherries in order to replicate them.

I love almost all Girl Scout cookies, but this year the Lemonades really stole my heart (and stomach). I see quite a few recipes on various websites. Can anyone suggest one that comes closest to the real thing? Naturally, I am not trying to replicate the exact design, just the taste.

Thanks

View attachment 64383View attachment 64384
View attachment 64385View attachment 64386
Ingredients:

For the cookies:

• 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
For the lemon icing:

• 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp lemon zest
  • Pinch of salt
Instructions:

1. In a large bowl, cream together the softened butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
  2. Add the flour and salt to the bowl and mix until the dough comes together.
  3. Roll the dough into a log and wrap it in plastic wrap. Chill the dough in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
  4. Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
  5. Slice the dough into rounds about 1/4 inch thick and place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
  6. Bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes, or until they are just starting to turn golden brown around the edges.
  7. While the cookies are baking, make the lemon icing. In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and salt until smooth.
  8. Remove the cookies from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.
  9. Once the cookies are completely cool, spread a thin layer of the lemon icing on top of each cookie.
  10. Allow the icing to set for a few minutes before serving.

CG took the words right out of my mouth. :LOL:

GG, both Aunt Bea and I were reminiscing about how Shortbread is very often decorated at Christmas with the cherries. No one said to decorate the Lemon shortbread cookies sold by the Girl Guides with cherries in order to replicate them.
Sorry, the ideas were all in one sentence, so they ran together in my mind 😁

Back
Top Bottom