Recipe help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

omgheather

Assistant Cook
I "inventoried" my kitchen today because I know I tend to buy and buy and have multiple stuff. So I am trying to use all that I have before I shop again. I need some ideas especially with all the sauce packets I have.

Brown gravy-other than gravy what else is this good for?
Pepper Medly Gravy-got this by accident. LOL
Turkey Gravy-bought some just in case mine didn't come out.
canned sliced beets - never ever had this-bought by accident
cranberry jelly slices-forgot to serve this at T-day-any recipes I can use for this?
Lentils-three colors-orange-regular-yellow

Thanks!

gravies can be made into stroganoff, I presume,
beets can be julienned and tossed over green salad,
cranberry jelly can be used on rolls with your leftover turkey for sandwiches.

That's all I can come up with - may not be what you're looking for,
but maybe it will spark a good idea :)

I never thought of strogonoff, I could make a sauce with the sour cream.

Thanks!

Brown gravy-other than gravy what else is this good for?
Pepper Medly Gravy-got this by accident. LOL
Turkey Gravy-bought some just in case mine didn't come out.
canned sliced beets - never ever had this-bought by accident
cranberry jelly slices-forgot to serve this at T-day-any recipes I can use for this?
Lentils-three colors-orange-regular-yellow

Thanks!

All the gravies can be used as 'flavor enhancers' for pot roast or meat loaf; just sprinkle 'em in dry.

Canned sliced beets - Beet/orange salad - mixed greens, orange sections or slices, beets, and a poppyseed dressing. Pretty in winter! Or the old 'Harvard' beets or pickled beets.

Cranberry jelly slices - blend with mayo and some chopped pecans for a sandwich spread for turkey/chicken.

The orange and yellow lentils make a great bean dip; cook 'em up and add whatever spice combo you'd like; some Indian spices are always nice, with toasted pita chips, or a southwestern mix would be great with the colors.

I'm with others if the gravies are dry packages. I keep them on hand all the time to supplement meat loaves and balls and soups and .... I call it "cheating". When you are going to use a packet, do not salt as much as you would if you weren't.

I've heard that canned cranberry sauce makes a good glaze on meats. Anyone ever try it?

Claire said:
I've heard that canned cranberry sauce makes a good glaze on meats. Anyone ever try it?

Yep, I have a recipe for Turkey logs using all the typical flavors for Thanksgiving dinner, right in a one pot dinner. After making the logs, you steam them and then put slices of the cranberry sauce over the logs while they continue cooking, lid on. The glaze adds so much flavor to the logs and the meal is wonderful.

try the cranberry jelly on turkey sandwiches.
lentils are so versatile. try this out for some ideas:
http://vegweb.com/recipes/alpha/alpha-l.shtml
as for the brown gravy, how about adding that to thicken up a beef stew, or making the gravy and adding sliced cremini mushrooms, oyster mushrooms, shitakes, and button mushrooms and serve as a side dish or over roast beef.
i hate beets, but my Mom and Dad like them in a marinade of white vinegar with sliced onions, juice from the beets and all.
that's all i can think of for now.

Next time you make a pot of beef or veggies soup you can toss the gravy in there. It'll add flavor and thickness.

Beets are good right out of the can or put them on salad.

For the brown gravy packets............

CHICKEN FRICCASEE

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
4-5 egg yolks beaten
1 1/2 c. plain bread crumbs
1 tsp. EACH ground mace and nutmeg
2 pkts. brown gravy mix whisked with 2 c. water
1/2 c. red wine
1 1/2 c. sliced button mushrooms
3 tbsp. oil fror sauteing

1... combine bread crumbs, mace, nutmeg and a good amount of black pepper. Dip chicken into yolks and dredge in bread crumb mixture. Fry in a medium SAUCEPOT on both sides till browned.

2... add in gravy mix, wine and mushrooms.

3... simmer for 20-30 mins.

4... serve over buttered egg noodles.

5... EAT AND ENJOY.

I have used whole berry cranberry sauce on chicken breasts. Combine sauce with shallots, garlic, S+P, onion & garlic powders. Spoon generously atop the chicken and bake in 350 oven till done.

Back
Top Bottom