Recipe ideas for a British "hygge"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

laurahampton

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone!

A "hygge" is becoming a big trend here in the UK. It's traditionally a Danish practice meaning 'cosy'. It revolves around making time for yourself and your friends and family, and has been credited with making Denmark the happiest place to live in the world.

Food plays an important part. The Danish enjoy rich, sumptuous foods in a hygge. I'm working on something at work on the topic of a 'British hygge' and wondered if you guys might have any recipe ideas for something that would be cosy, rich, warming and traditionally British, perhaps with a twist, that I could include in a blog post.

Thanks for your help!

Laura :chef:

Oki, when I look up British Hygge, I found Swedish Fika recipe and that people Hygge as both cosy and fika...

I am confused. What type do you want, sweet or savoury?

Hi CakePoet!

I'm looking for anything, sweet or savoury. A "hygge" isn't typically a British thing but I am creating a British version. I'm thinking stews, pies, roast dinner ideas, sweet sponges, etc. Traditionally British foods that would suit the hygge idea.

Thanks

Laura

I asked a Dane what to do , he said simple make something simple and easy comfort food and turn on a movie or get a cup of tea, cocoa, coffee or mulled wine and your favorite cookies/ biscuits and curl up in the sofa and talk to your friends.

Last edited:
Things I love that is British, Banoffee, Parkin, Sticky toffee pudding and I have the recipe for a single on of them here sadly.

And you should know how to do a trifle or a fool.

So lets think about something different when it comes to sweet.

Kladdkaka

100 gram butter melted
2 eggs
300 ml sugar
150 ml flour
1 teasponn vanilla
4 tablespoon cocoa powder ( for baking not drinking)
1 tablespoon water or booze of your choice or orange juice.
1 pinch of salt

8 inch pan, lined.

Turn oven on to 150 C
In a small bowl combine salt, cocoa powder and butter and whisk until smooth. In a larger bowl whisk eggs and sugar pale and fluffy. Add flour, vanilla and stir. Add the chocolate butter mixture, scrape the bowl you want all the cocoa and whisk until smooth and glossy. Add the liquid of choice, stir in and scraped down the bowl to make sure nothing is stuck to the edges. Pour into the pan and bake for 30 minutes.
Now leave it too cool and then put in the fridge for at least 8 hours to mature.
Take the cake out of the fridge 20 minutes before serving, serve with whipped cream or icecream or both and some berries.

For savoury, well if I was in the UK, I would be eating a lot of scotch pie, scottish breakfast and black pudding rolls and be all hygge and stuffed too.

Hi everyone!

A "hygge" is becoming a big trend here in the UK. It's traditionally a Danish practice meaning 'cosy'. It revolves around making time for yourself and your friends and family, and has been credited with making Denmark the happiest place to live in the world.

Food plays an important part. The Danish enjoy rich, sumptuous foods in a hygge. I'm working on something at work on the topic of a 'British hygge' and wondered if you guys might have any recipe ideas for something that would be cosy, rich, warming and traditionally British, perhaps with a twist, that I could include in a blog post.

Thanks for your help!

Laura :chef:
Never heard of it. I'm in the North West and have family in the Nottingham area and they haven't heard of it either.

As for the dishes for your Hygge - meat and potato pie in big deep "turtle " pot - lots of filling and not nmuch pastry

The problem is that hygge is more feeling then an official get together. You want your guest to feel cosy, happy and calm. So even if you have all the food, without the feeling it is nothing.

My other Danish friend replied, we had taco and "cuddled" in the sofa , that hygge for us..

Mad Cook, I think she was implying that it was becoming a trend - but not yet established? Sounds like she is trying to help it along by giving suggestions of recipes to use to encourage the "cuddly" part. :LOL:

Comfort food!

Oddly enough, my husband and mine comfort food in Scotland was either black pudding rolls or a Scottish breakfast, I with tea and he with Irn bru. Ah those where the day, cold drafty flat and had to cuddle to keep warm. He never understood why I complained until we spent a winter in Sweden. Dry warm flat, lovely.

Homemade Scotch Broth, cottage pie, steamed sponge pudding with custard: comforting, traditional and very British, and just right for winter. Calorie-laden too, I afraid. I'd do something different in summer. But then, this is probably a winter thing?

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Straight from the mouth of a Dane what hygge is.

"To make a long definition short. Many ways to do Hygge. :) With family and friends. Basically every time you're having a good time whether it's a family dinner, watching a movie, or just sitting and talking and having fun. Work as well 'En hyggetjans' meaning it's an easy task. Even with sex we can say it. "Vi hyggede (past) os i sengen/sängen". So yeah. Every time we're having a good time. :) "

I think this can help us when it comes to recipes.

Back
Top Bottom