Red or White Wine?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Red or white wine?

• Total voters

Leaf Storm

Senior Cook
If you have to just pick one wine to drink. Would you go for a red or a white wine?

For me, I would go for the red wine!

Re: Red or white?

Leaf Storm said:
If you have to just pick one wine to drink. Would you go for a red or a white wine?

For me, I would go for the red wine!

I like both white and red.. but I think alot of it depends on what you're eating too. If I was having a nice juicy steak, I would say lambrusco..if I was having roast chicken, I would go with a nice glass of bianco..I like to cook with chablis, it's a drier wine. If I was having seafood.. I'd choose a rose of some sort.. or white zinfandel or chardonnay. Now if I was lounging around with someone on a romantic evening, it would have to be a glass of red wine.

I tend not go with the "wine rules" for food. Like it's gotta be red wine with red meat and white with chicken and so on. I just drink what tastes good to me. However, I am probably just odd lol :)

But yes, always red for a romantic encounter! :)

Leaf Storm said:
I tend not go with the "wine rules" for food. Like it's gotta be red wine with red meat and white with chicken and so on. I just drink what tastes good to me. However, I am probably just odd lol :)

But yes, always red for a romantic encounter! :)
Nah, you're not odd.. you're just human.. do whatcha like and makes ya feel good!

I would choose to drink red wine if my life depended on it. Red wines have much more character, I think. I usually have a glass of red wine a day, but sometimes find myself with an empty bottle.
I like to run and go to the gym so I try not to get drunk too much. ;)
Plus drinking other types of hard alcohol or beer isn't good for the heart, but I think red wine is. (((my philosophy)))
I also drink white wine but I am usually in the mood for red.

I'm just starting to broaden my wine horizon :D . I must confess so far I prefer the red wines better. Ask me again in 6 months as that may have changed.

I did find that my first experience with white I ate with seafood at a resturant and after that first few sips I really enjoyed it. I ended up purchasing a bottle right afterwards. I was sitting home one night and decided to have a glass of this wine and I found its not a wine that I can just sit back and drink a glass of. I realized the food complimented the wine. So that bottle is now reserved for when I prepare seafood dishes.

But I'm just testing the waters, rather wines, now so that could change.

Color me red and make it dry! Although I enjoy the chards on the dry side, too!

A well "oaked" chardonnay is nice, but have a prejudice for the German Moselle's, but I'll take the Auslese and Spatlese variants, in spite of the cost! A bit sweeter...and an experience to enjoy...

For "fun", say at the cottage, with a gang accumulated for a "happy hour" as we wait for the BBQ to do its thing, a chilled white Zinfandel...

But it would be sad to lose the "reds"...Italian food without?

No "Port's" to finish off formal dinners?

No more Merlot's or Shiraz? Italy will go into meltdown, as will Wayne T in Australia!

Lifter

Lifter said:
A well "oaked" chardonnay is nice, but have a prejudice for the German Moselle's, but I'll take the Auslese and Spatlese variants, in spite of the cost! A bit sweeter...and an experience to enjoy...

For "fun", say at the cottage, with a gang accumulated for a "happy hour" as we wait for the BBQ to do its thing, a chilled white Zinfandel...

But it would be sad to lose the "reds"...Italian food without?

No "Port's" to finish off formal dinners?

No more Merlot's or Shiraz? Italy will go into meltdown, as will Wayne T in Australia!

Lifter
ty lifter.. I was trying to think of the name of that wine, which I also like... Merlot...........man.. my signature more than fits the bill.

Many moons ago when I was hitting the bar scene, I loved a cold glass of Chablis. Since, Chablis seems to have given way to Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay and some other whites that I don't particularly like. Right now, I drink Cabernet Sauvignon almost exclusively.

Definitely red. :D
And I am not ashamed to say that I will grab a bottle of 2 Buck Chuck at Trader Joe's any day.
Anyone else like that stuff? :)

Definitely white because I'm allergic to red wine. If I drink more than one glass of red, I get an asthma attack.

I like both - but prefer reds.

I stick mostly to French and Aussie wines - but also like some Spanish, Italian and Portugese wines, as well as new world wines from South American countries like Chile and Argentina. I don't drink much Californian wines.

i'm red all the way. i buy mostly californian and aussie. i like an occasional white zin once in a while, but for some reason while red wine hits me like a ton o' bricks, i can drink white zin like water. lower alcohol content maybe?

most definately red. it was like that with most of the people in my wine-tasting class. even the prof. openly showed his disdain for most of the white wines.
i love Valpolicella. it's dry, not too tannic, and doesn't cost too much.

Unfortunately, a lot of people mistakenly interperate white wine drinkers as "lightweights". Most white wine is very underrated in terms of drinkability as a food wine, because the misconception is that "bigger is better" so you see a lot of people immediately reaching for that big California Caberbet or Merlot. If they do choose a white wine, it's almost always a Chardonnay which is probably the worst choice, unless you're eating a plate full of strong-flavored cheeses. If I absolutely had to choose, then I would choose red only because I could not live without Pinot Noir, Bordeaux, Super Tuscans, or Syrah. But I would flinch everytime I see someone ordering an Alsace, Pinot Gri(s)gio, or Riesling which I know would perfectly compliment an abundance of the seafood and vegetable dishes and flavors that I like.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom