Red peppers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin86

Senior Cook
It’s soup season now!!! I have half a bushel of red bell peppers. Hoping for cozy and home style but love to see options.

I roast them, skin them, marinate them briefly with a balsamic type marinated, pat dry and freeze. They defrost really well and go great on a sandwich( Made a portobello / Marinated peppers sandwich on a roll the other day which turned out real well.

I also make a tortilla - Like soup. Basically fry up peppers, onions, garlic, toss in a few tomatoes cumin and a hand full of corn chips then blend away. ( before my wife went vegan, Id throw a little bit of cream in there, at the end, too jus to finish it off. Serve with crumbled corn chips on top. Sometimes ID also toss some corn kernels in at the end to give me something too chew on.

I roast them, skin them, marinate them briefly with a balsamic type marinated, pat dry and freeze. They defrost really well and go great on a sandwich( Made a portobello / Marinated peppers sandwich on a roll the other day which turned out real well.

I also make a tortilla - Like soup. Basically fry up peppers, onions, garlic, toss in a few tomatoes cumin and a hand full of corn chips then blend away. ( before my wife went vegan, Id throw a little bit of cream in there, at the end, too jus to finish it off. Serve with crumbled corn chips on top. Sometimes ID also toss some corn kernels in at the end to give me something too chew on.

Forgot to mention : After frying up all the veggies, add some kinda stock to to then puree.

I slice or dice unused peppers and freeze them on a sheet pan for later use. When frozen place in freezer zip bag. Use for pizza, sauces, egg scrambles, peppers and onions (I also freeze used onions) to use with sausage or for cheese steak.

Good ideas thanks everybody.

We have more to go but I roasted a bunch (stuffed a 9x13 full including 1 tomato we had) while doing that I fried up a pound of ground sausage and the last 2 pieces of bacon (diced) then diced and onion to sauté with the meat. Spices and herbs added in.

Let the peppers rest to cool peeled, seeded out and chunked them in mashed up with my handy wooden spoon that deglazed everything then I added a can of spiced tomatoes and just let it all stew and everything melted down together.
Once it reduced we cut it with some chicken stock to thin it out and it was delicious especially when you dip garlic bread.

If you haven’t tried it it’s a very simple soup that was quite good

Back
Top Bottom