Red, White, and Blue Cobbler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Golfgar4

Senior Cook
Well, it was another questionable success yesterday with this new recipe I tried. It was very windy yesterday, but it was unusually gusty, which made it very difficult to maintain even cooking tempratures. I REALLY need to solve my windbreak problem.:glare: Another problem is that the recipe calls for the use of a 12" dutch oven, which I feel is just a bit too small. The cobbler came to just under the lid, which caused the top to get burned very easily. Once the cobbler had cooled, I did slice the burned top off the cobbler so that it didn't look too bad (the next time I make this I'll use my 12" deep dutch oven). As a result, I had to remove the top heat, which in turn affected the cooking time. Plus, in trying to get the cobbler cooked with just bottom heat, I had to add more coals, which in turn ended up burning the bottom of the cobbler even though I was rotating the Do every 3 - 4 minutes. But even with all of these problems, the people that tried some of it really enjoyed it. One guy went back three times.:ohmy: So even though I consider this attempt a failure, I guess it really wasn't since people did enjoy it.

Even though this attempt turned out less than ideal, I'll definitely make this again, because I think this will be a real winner when it comes out the way it's supposed to. :rolleyes:

Red , White, & Blue Cobbler

2 cans each - cherry & blueberry filling
2 boxes white cake mix
½ stick butter
1 large zip lock bag
1 large tub Kool whip

Combine 2 boxes of cake mix in zip lock bag or bowl
Spoon 1/3 of the cake mix into Dutch Oven.
Spread the blueberry filling over the cake.
Add another even layer 1/3 of cake mix.
Spread the cherry filling on top of the second layer of the cake mix.
Add the rest of the cake mix on top of the cherries.
Cut "pats" of butter over cake mix
Cook at 375 degrees for 45 min. or until crust is golden brown..
Charcoals : 9/18 = 9 on bottom and18 on top, for a 12 inch Dutch Oven
Serve with Kool Whip & enjoy

Attachments

• Red, White and Blue 2.jpg
    Red, White and Blue 2.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 278
  • Red, White and Blue 3.jpg
    Red, White and Blue 3.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 218
  • Red, White and Blue 4.jpg
    Red, White and Blue 4.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 222
  • Red, White and Blue 5.jpg
    Red, White and Blue 5.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 233
  • Red, White and Blue 6.jpg
    Red, White and Blue 6.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 241
Thanks Bob.

Like I said, it was a questionable success. But since people did eat it, I'll take that as enough of a vote of confidence to accept it as a success. After all, beggars can't be choosers! :LOL:

Absolutely!! I cooked some ribs over a campfire the other day...The weatherman "lied"...said winds would be "light and variable"...he was 1/2 right...They were variable:LOL: I fought the wind the whole time. In the end only the bones were left...so it was worth the effort!

Should the recipe read 2 boxes of white cake mix prepared

according to directions on box or did you do something different?

Yes, it was "assumed" that the directions meant prepared. I just combined both boxes of cake mix in one bowl and mixed it all together. I used the whole egg directions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom