Redwood Creek Merlot (2003)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DampCharcoal

Executive Chef
I serched high and low for wdj's recommendation of Red Diamond Merlot but couldn't find it. I believe it's a Washington vintner and like wdj said, it's relatively new to retail and might not have made it east of the Mississippi yet. So, I stuck with the Merlot idea and bought a 750ml bottle of Redwood Creek Merlot vintage 2003 this morning for $7.99. Holy $#*%! The first sip was like a backhand across the face. The initial flavor is very powerful but subsides quickly and tastes pretty good. Then I decided to do some research. It appears that many Northern California reds from the 2003 year are on a "hold" status, although I couldn't find anything specific to Merlot. Too late for this bottle, tho. It's a bit strong for my tastes but I'll finish off the bottle anyway! :D

Last edited:
Could be that you drank it a bit young, before the tannins mellowed out.

Also, did you let the wine breath for awhile? You may be surprised at how different a red tastes when you let it breathe for a half hour or so before drinking.

Red Diamond is available east of the Miss. -- they sell it in my supermarket and at the liquor store.

Last edited:
Yeah, the tannins definitely need to mellow. Proves that it's better to do a bit of research BEFORE one buys a bottle of wine instead of randomly yanking one off the shelf! *smacking forehead* :LOL:

If you still have some, pour a glass and take a sip. Then let the glass sit for 1/2 hour and taste again. Should taste different.

If you really dont like it, portion it and freeze it to cook with.

And don't smack yourself :boxing: :angry::-p You need to taste a wine to know whether you'll like it or not. I posted something about this in another thread on Shiraz.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom