Refresh My Memory ~ Cooking with Gas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
- You don't have to wait for the burner to heat up.
- Some people like to roast peppers, etc., over the flame.
- You can still cook if you lose electric power.
- It usually costs significantly less than electricity.
- The control knobs are usually in the front, so you don't have to reach over hot pots to adjust the temperature.

Here's some more:
-you can adjust the temperature exactly where you want it.
-when you turn it off, it's off.
-when you adjust the temperature, it's instantly adjusted.

All of the above - instant temperature change is the best advantage. Once you turn it down it's DOWN, instantly!

The other good advantage is roasting jalapenos. I still roast my peppers in my oven though.

Here's some more:
-you can adjust the temperature exactly where you want it.
-when you turn it off, it's off.
-when you adjust the temperature, it's instantly adjusted.

It's very easy to adjust the temp on an electric range as well. I've been doing that for 45 years. I can bring the temp lower on electric than on gas because their is no flame to go out if the burner is kept at a very low warm temperature. While cooking breakfast this morning I didn't realize the breeze blew the flame out of my burner (in my RV) until I smelled gas.

When I turn it off, I still have residual heat to keep the pot hot.

Sorry, but no one in their right mind would reach over a hot pot to adjust the knobs. I've never had to do that. Good way to take the skin off your arm. :)

And being able to cook if the power goes out is a disadvantage to me. I go out to dinner if that happens. :LOL:

The one advantage that is a biggie with me is that I can bring a large pot of water to a boil much faster with electric even given the 60 seconds it takes to bring the burner up to full power. More people cook with gas than with electric but I won't give up my range for anything. It is more expensive to operate though, I will admit that. Electric is cleaner.

Everyone sees their range in a different light.

You have the benefits, but one drawback I found was when I wanted to simmer things, sauce for example, the flame was not low enough, it would still boil. Someone on here gave me a suggestion to tame the flame, I believe it's called a flame tamer oddly enough lol, and cost about $2, works like a charm, just be careful of the wooden handle near the flame.

Sorry, but no one in their right mind would reach over a hot pot to adjust the knobs. I've never had to do that. Good way to take the skin off your arm. :)
I've never taken the skin off my arm but do have no choice to reach across the stove to raise or lower the temp. It can't be avoided. The knobs are indeed on the back and the only way to reach them is over the burners/pots/whatever is there.

Thanks for all the reminders. Another one is that all the burners are the same size. Right now I have three smalls and one large and none of them adjust quickly.

On a gas stove there is always a burner for simmering. Mine is the right rear burner. You can easily see it because the disk in the center is smaller than the others. Simmering something still creates movement in the liquid.

I've got a low BTU burner on my gas stove and a high BTU burner, also. After using this stove for almost seven years, I wish they were all the same size. It kinda limits what pot you put where. Sometimes my smallest pot is the one I am doing the most with. Mix in a few other things you are cooking on the stovetop and you end up putting something too big on that little burner. You might be able to crank the flame up, but it still doesn't heat much of the bottom of the pan or pot.

JMO. My next stove won't have this if I can help it.

Nice seeing all the advantages of a gas stove. I have never cooked on an electric one in my life. My parents had to switch to electric when they sold their house and moved into a condo. I think they complained about it for two year. It's all what you get used to I guess.

I've got a low BTU burner on my gas stove and a high BTU burner, also. After using this stove for almost seven years, I wish they were all the same size. It kinda limits what pot you put where. Sometimes my smallest pot is the one I am doing the most with. Mix in a few other things you are cooking on the stovetop and you end up putting something too big on that little burner. You might be able to crank the flame up, but it still doesn't heat much of the bottom of the pan or pot.

JMO. My next stove won't have this if I can help it.

Nice seeing all the advantages of a gas stove. I have never cooked on an electric one in my life. My parents had to switch to electric when they sold their house and moved into a condo. I think they complained about it for two year. It's all what you get used to I guess.

With my stove, the burners are different sizes, but it has grates that cover the top, so you can put any size pot over the burners. And it also has a simmer burner and a high-BUT burner. And if a breeze threatens to blow out the flame, it automagically relights it. Here it is.

Oh. How do you adjust the temperature, then, when the knobs are on the back of the stove?

You reach the knobs from the CENTER of the top of the stove, never over a boiling pot or sizzling pan. Bring your hand from the center to the knob. If you've never cooked on electric then I don't blame you for not knowing. It's so simple.

You reach the knobs from the CENTER of the top of the stove, never over a boiling pot or sizzling pan. Bring your hand from the center to the knob. If you've never cooked on electric then I don't blame you for not knowing. It's so simple.
What? The center of the top of the stove? Physically impossible. My knobs are in direct line with the burners and as funky as my wrist is, it doesn't bend that way. The only knob in the middle controls my oven, not my burners.

OK, the key here is the knobs are on a back splash - not sitting directly on the surface of the stove. Isn't that what you mean, DQ? These knobs are easily reached if you reach around either side of the stove...you don't have to reach right over a hot pot.

Excuse the splatters from dinner last night, but as you can see from this photo, the knobs line up with the burners.

img_675665_0_27bf3f363ddbb8ab1ad9e839b6c22839.jpg

Excuse the splatters from dinner last night, but as you can see from this photo, the knobs line up with the burners.

img_675675_0_27bf3f363ddbb8ab1ad9e839b6c22839.jpg

I wish my stove had spatters - that would mean I had cooked something :blush:

I see now - but they can still be easily accessed from reaching around the side to the back...at least that's how I remember doing it (coming in via your spice rack so to speak).

With my stove, the burners are different sizes, but it has grates that cover the top, so you can put any size pot over the burners. And it also has a simmer burner and a high-BUT burner. And if a breeze threatens to blow out the flame, it automagically relights it. Here it is.

Really? Grates? What a novel concept. :rolleyes:

What I said was, I like a flame that is appropriate for the pot or pan's size. Putting a 12 inch pan over a flame that can only fan out 3-1/2 inches just doesn't seem right to me :huh: No matter how high the flame can turn on.

Your mileage may vary.... :mellow:

img_675686_0_27bf3f363ddbb8ab1ad9e839b6c22839.jpg

OK. I've never cooked on an electric stove before, but the ones I have seen all had the knobs off to the one side.

That looks like that could present a problem. What a stupid place for the knobs, right on the back like that.... weird.

OK. I've never cooked on an electric stove before, but the ones I have seen all had the knobs off to the one side.

That looks like that could present a problem. What a stupid place for the knobs, right on the back like that.... weird.
All mine have been like this except on this one even the oven is near the heat. The oven is the farthest from the left in the picture.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom