Replacing Wheat Flour Content With Vital Wheat Gluten?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Smith

Assistant Cook
Hello to all!

Had this idea pop into my head, and want to see what more knowledgeable people think.

I am wondering if a dough incorporating a significant amount of gluten free flour (say 50% or more), in general, would function close to the same if one replaced the wheat flour with vital wheat gluten? Not in a one to one ratio, but to the equivalent gluten content. Then just filled in whatever was left with the gluten free flour. Hope that makes sense.

So basically, keeping the gluten content the same, if possible and as close to possible, while giving the ability to put in more gluten free flour. I am especially interested in if this would work with bean flours as well.

I hope this has made sense. Thank you for any and all thoughts and advice!

No, I do not believe you can replace flour with just vital wheat gluten.
Wheat flour has had the gluten activated and then removing all but the gluten.

But I'm not understanding the purpose of what you want to do.
What are you trying to achieve?
Why are you using gluten free flour and then adding gluten to it?

Welcome to the forum!

I do add VWG to various types of breads, mostly when I use a lot of rye flour. And I have, on occasion, used a little of it in some flatbreads, that had, let's say, 1 c wheat flour, plus some bessan, and I would use some other, non-gluten flour, like barley (actually has a little gluten, like rye, but not much), in place of the wheat, for the flavor. I also ground up some whole mung beans, to use in things like that, which had a good flavor. Never tried a loaf bread doing that, but it's worth a try! I assume you are trying to get less carbs, and more protein? I didn't have any mathematical formula for it, but about 1/8 or a little more of the flour, replaced by gluten, and the remainder by a non-gluten flour, should give a good elasticity to the dough.

Last edited:
I basically just wanted to know, as in my mind it sort of made sense.

"Gluten forms the sticky bonds, and if the gluten content is the same, then the difference may be negligible."

That was sort of my thinking.

I was really just kind of seeing if that is possible, if that is how bread "works"

Well, yes, the gluten form the sticky bonds and the elasticity. the yeast is what makes the bubbles with the gluten keeping the flours together for the stretch. I know that sounds a bit silly and childish but that's how my mind works.

oh boy... that didn't come out right - somebody help me here!

If you want to make a bread with vital wheat gluten and non-gluten flours, it would be like this: https://www.flypeachpie.com/2019/02/03/low-carb-chickpea-flour-bread/

Bob's Red Mill Vital Wheat Gluten is made from the protein found in the endosperm of the wheat berry, containing 75% to 80% protein.

TYPE OF WHEAT FLOUR
PERCENT GLUTEN PROTEIN PER CUP (Varies by Region)
Vital Wheat Gluten40 - 80%
Whole Wheat (Hard red spring) ex: King Arthur stone-ground whole wheat flour (14%)14%
Durham Wheat (Semolina)13+%
White Whole Wheat13%

In The Netherlands , the label "Volkoren" (=wholewheat) on flour and bread is only allowed by law, when it is 100% wholewheat. But still without the germ for supermarkets, to make it last longer. All other labels are often suggesting it is "real", while it is build up from white flour.
Happily there are still ±30 old windmills producing 100% flour. With germ and bran in it.
The trend is not adding anything extra to make it work better.
The best bakeries will tell that in their information on the website and advertisements.

Back
Top Bottom