Rhubarb Crumble

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Golfgar4

Senior Cook
One of my favorite summer foods is rhubarb. I can almost always guarantee that by the end of the summer, I'll not have had as much rhubarb as I'd planned on having.

So today I decided to try a new recipe that I found (can't recall where I came across it) for Rhubarb Crumble. It's an easy recipe that only takes about a total of 1 hour, including prep time. I actually think it took longer to get the charcoal hot enough to start cooking. :LOL:

If I had anything that I might want to change, it would be the crumble topping. I think a full cup of oats is just a little too much. I found some dry oats after it was cooked that hadn't gotten completely mixed in. And I don't believe it was becasue I didn't mix it enough. I just think that there was just a little too much. So I'm going to chnage my recipe to 3/4 cup of oats instead of the 1 cup.

I used a standard 10" dutch oven wnd lined it with foil. I was being lazy and didn't want all of the clean-up. Besides, we had guests over to share it with, and one of them had never had rhubarb before. It was fun to watch his face when he took that first bite. This recipe is good because it keeps the dish from getting too tart. It was just right.

Here's the recipe if anybody would like to try it.

Rhubarb Crumble

4 cups Rhubarb chopped
1 cup Sugar
1 6-8 oz. package sweetened frozen strawberries or fresh, if available
½ cup Flour

Mix all of the above in the bottom of a Dutch oven

In separate container mix the following:
1 cup oats
1 1/2 cup flour
1 cup Butter
1 tsp. Baking soda (optional)

Mix all of this together and pour it on top of Rhubarb mixture.
It is best to gob it on with a spoon as mixture will be very thick.
Take 1 cup brown sugar and sprinkle on top.
You will need 18 coals on top and 8 coals on the bottom .
After 10 minutes rotate the whole oven quarter of a turn clockwise, the lid you rotate a quarter of a turn counter clockwise. You will continue to do this for the remainder of cooking time which is 35-45 minutes

Attachments

• Rhubarb 1(R).jpg
    Rhubarb 1(R).jpg
    288.5 KB · Views: 248
  • Rhubarb 2(R).jpg
    Rhubarb 2(R).jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 250
  • Rhubarb 3(R).jpg
    Rhubarb 3(R).jpg
    297.6 KB · Views: 252
  • Rhubarb 4(R).jpg
    Rhubarb 4(R).jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 244
Hope yours turns out well. Let us know.

Since I made this, I've had a raspberry/rhubarb pie which was absolutely fantastic. I think I'll always use raspberries from now on instead of strawberries. :)

Back
Top Bottom