Rice bran oil = my new cooking oil. period.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black chef

Senior Cook
1. rice bran oil, hands down, is the best oil i've used for sauteeing, stir-frys, etc. i haven't deep-fried with it, but i will tonite. there is no smoking problem with this oil.

2. pecan oil because it's just as 'light' as rice bran oil but the $$$$ hurts. ouch.

3. grapeseed oil - high temp properties are good, but again, $$$.

4. evoo - i use to finish dishes and for salads.

i'm using the california rice bran oil that is also noted for its high content of oryzanol.

pssssssssssst... it's on sale right now too. ;)

Rice Oil

:chef:I agree. My all time favorite oil is rice oil. It is just the best for all cooking and also for salad dressings. Since most of my cooking seems to be at high temperatures, I like the high smoke point of rice oil. The price is right and you get healthy benefits in the oil. Most people are not aware that rice oil helps to lower cholesterol!!

I've never even heard of rice bran oil (but that's no surprise, really.) Is it readily available in grocery stores or is it a mail order type thing? I don't recall ever seeing it but then again, I've never looked for it either.

I've used the oil in my cookers and ran it side by side with Palm oil to test it. The Palm oil darkens more quickly on the initial cook, the Rice oil foams more quickly but both have the same working life except that the product took up more Rice oil over the period, I did the test over the seven days in 25 litre vats running at 185C. On a commercial bases the Palm oil came out on top because of the cost, but, even though the product took up more Rice oil you couldn't notice it and I'm inclined to think that the Rice oil is not as bad for you.

I've never even heard of rice bran oil (but that's no surprise, really.) Is it readily available in grocery stores or is it a mail order type thing? I don't recall ever seeing it but then again, I've never looked for it either.
I think it is pretty common over your way FM and much cheaper than what we pay.

Rice Bran Oil

Hey-there is a very good article on rice oil in the October issue of Cook's Illustrated. The comparison was made against canola oil and they gave rave reviews on taste and fry ability to rice oil-check it out!!

I've been looking for it in my local grocery stores & can't find it. My fiance's doctor put him on a low cholesterol diet & I've read a few articles on it's benefits. If anyone in the Toledo, Ohio area has found it, please let me know where. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom