Rice cooking (w/a cooker), a bit of a dilemma.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, in the MW, do you bring it to a boil first? Do you let it boil for some number of minutes? Do you think it would work with brown (unpolished) rice?

So, in the MW, do you bring it to a boil first? Do you let it boil for some number of minutes? Do you think it would work with brown (unpolished) rice?

I put the rice, salt and liquid in a covered, vented bowl and cook it on high for 7 minutes. Remove from the MW and stir. Put back in the MW and cook for 8 more minutes. Done. If I don't stir it partway, it comes out too hard.

I see no reason why it wouldn't work with brown rice. You would have to experiment to determine how long to cook it; I've never cooked brown rice so I don't know.

I put the rice, salt and liquid in a covered, vented bowl and cook it on high for 7 minutes. Remove from the MW and stir. Put back in the MW and cook for 8 more minutes. Done. If I don't stir it partway, it comes out too hard.

I see no reason why it wouldn't work with brown rice. You would have to experiment to determine how long to cook it; I've never cooked brown rice so I don't know.
Thanks.

Maybe I'll Google for it. Brown rice usually takes 45-60 minutes. I think I'd like a closer idea before I start experimenting.

You will need to add more water, TL. Use the same proportions for when you cook it on the stove.

I don't think it matters too much to Desmond, the original poster, how y'all cook your rice. He already has a rice cooker and he wants to know how to use it. Like I said previously, you do not need to time the rice in a rice cooker. You just load it up, turn it on, and wait for it to finish, at which time it will most likely emit some kind of noise to indicate the cooking cycle is finished.

I also use the Hoot method and it works. I don't need another one job appliance.

I don't have a rice cooker either. My problem with the Hoot method is I would get distracted doing other things and the rice would often overcook and stick to the pan. Doing it in the microwave is perfect. It just stops cooking when it's done and keeps it hot in there while you finish up other things.

I also use the Hoot method and it works. I don't need another one job appliance.

My rice cooker handles 4 different jobs extremely well, and much easier and faster than any human could perform those tasks. If it wasn't a good investment, 99% of Asian households wouldn't have one!

My rice cooker handles 4 different jobs extremely well, and much easier and faster than any human could perform those tasks. If it wasn't a good investment, 99% of Asian households wouldn't have one!

99% of Asian households eat rice two to three times per day. I don't think that's true for the typical American household. I've gotten along fine without one for the almost 30 years I've been cooking.

Just to play devil's advocate here, my rice cooker also does multiple things in a set it and forget it kind of way. But my pressure cooker does it much, much faster, plus many more things than can my rice cooker.:)

That being said, the rice cooker is foolproof, and doesn't need to be watched. The pressure cooker demands more of my attention (but not vey much more). both are useful tools. If time is an issue, I'll use the PC to cook the rice. Otherwise, I'll use the RC, both because it's a foolproof operation, and it frees up burners for other parts of the meal.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom