Rice cooking (w/a cooker), a bit of a dilemma.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Desmond

Washing Up
Hi I am new to this forum. I love cooking curries and other spicy stuff. I have a rice cooker Russel hobs. If I cook for myself I will put about 120 grams of Basmati rice and about the same of water but this is in the form of 80% water 20% coconut milk ( a good quality blue tragon). This takes aprox 4 minutes.

My problem is I am going to do a banquette and I want to do a lot of coconut rice. Inside there are scales showing 10 cups and 1.8 and a symbol. Could be litres? I want to know how long it would take to cook these large quantities. Would half that amount cook in half the time? Is it proportionate?

Thanks for your help. I need to know this in advance as I can't experiment with this kind of thing.

Desmond.

I am not sure if this will render accurately in all browsers. The symbol for litre looks like a cursive letter "L" with the leading tail shortened.
Does the symbol look like this

Hi I am new to this forum. I love cooking curries and other spicy stuff. I have a rice cooker Russel hobs. If I cook for myself I will put about 120 grams of Basmati rice and about the same of water but this is in the form of 80% water 20% coconut milk ( a good quality blue tragon). This takes aprox 4 minutes.

My problem is I am going to do a banquette and I want to do a lot of coconut rice. Inside there are scales showing 10 cups and 1.8 and a symbol. Could be litres? I want to know how long it would take to cook these large quantities. Would half that amount cook in half the time? Is it proportionate?

Thanks for your help. I need to know this in advance as I can't experiment with this kind of thing.

Desmond.
I would think that the 1.8 refers to litres. 1.8 of a pint would be a bit difficult to manage. As to the cups - an American measuring cup holds 8 fluid ounces of water. (I'm sure someone will correct me there if I'm wrong.)

How many people are you cooking for? Generally speaking, the more people you are cooking for the less per person you need to prepare. Hmm, how can I explain that? If you are cooking for 8 people you would probably need twice as much as you'd serve to 4 people but if you are catering for 28 people you wouldn't need to serve 7 times as much as you would to 4 people because you'd have too much. Prue Leith explains the equation in one of her books but it's at the bottom of one of a dozen boxes in my garage atm. Sorry. I'm sure someone on DC has been a professional caterer in the past but I can't, off hand, remember who.

I am not sure if this will render accurately in all browsers. The symbol for litre looks like a cursive letter "L" with the leading tail shortened.
Does the symbol look like this

Yes it looks exactly like that. But is a Cup a standard measure. seems to be arbitrary. This suggests a cup = 180 milli liters, but some websites say between 200 - 250 ml. Filling it up to the 1.8 ltr mark weighs 2.8kg. 1 ltr should weigh 1kg.

Still need to find out how long a full rice cooker would take

1.8 litres is approximately 10 cups. Put 10 cups of raw rice into the cooker, then fill it to the 10 cup (1.8 litre) mark on the bowl with your water/coconut milk mixture.

You can download the instruction manual for your rice cooker at Kettles, Toasters, Irons & Kitchen Appliances - Russell Hobbs International

Remember, when all else fails, RTFM!
I'm sure I'm going to regret this, Sir Loin, but what does RTFM mean?

Oh hell, it's just struck me!!! Yes, I see.

Last edited:
Come on guys -> RTFM
I have downloaded the manual and as I said previously it does not give any times for cooking rice. It gives times for cooking carrots and fish etc but not rice. Contacted manufacturer and they seem clueless. What I wanted is some people professional knowledge of cooking large amounts of rice i.e. 1kg of rice to one litre of water. I didn’t think it would be this hard a question. :(

If it wasn't that hard of a question, you would have found the answer by now, ya think! We are a group of foodies, very few professional cooks. I fill my rice cooker with the required amounts, set and let it go. I've never timed it, usually start if before I go to bed and it's done when I get up in the morning.

Come on guys -> RTFM
I have downloaded the manual and as I said previously it does not give any times for cooking rice. It gives times for cooking carrots and fish etc but not rice. Contacted manufacturer and they seem clueless. What I wanted is some people professional knowledge of cooking large amounts of rice i.e. 1kg of rice to one litre of water. I didn’t think it would be this hard a question. :(

Your post got me curious and I pulled out the manual to our rice cooker. Interestingly enough ours doesn't note any cooking times. Just turn it on and it's supposed to finish when it "senses" the rice is done. I never thought about that until now.

I suppose you could cook a small test batch of rice and extrapolate the time for a larger quantity. Other than that I have no idea.

I have never used a rice cooker other than a pot of boiling water. The ratio is 1 cup of rice to 2 cups of water, which generally yields about 3 cups of cooked rice. It's an old fashioned way to cook rice I reckon, but it works.

Come on guys -> RTFM

Why would anyone cook carrots or fish in a rice cooker?

Last edited:
There really a simple solution. Measure the rice volume. Wash and rinse your rice. Place it into a large pot. Fill pot with water to equal three times the volume of the rice, i.e. 1 cup of rice to 3 cups of water.

A rice cooker is designed around using twice the water volume, compared to the rice. That is enough water to completely hydrate the rice during the cooking time. The method I'm suggesting uses time to gauge the proper hydration of the rice, and is the preferred method as any excess water is drained off, carrying with it any heavy metal, or pesticide residuals that may contaminate the rice.

Bring the water to a boil, cover the pot, and reduce the heat just to maintain a low boil. Cook for 30 minutes, then drain through a fine mesh seive. Your rice will be cooked through, and be healthier to eat. If you want your rice to have a bit of tooth, reduce the cooking time by seven minutes or so. If you want it very soft, increase the cooking time by another 7 to ten minutes.

No guesswork required.:chef:

Oh, and season the water with salt.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Why would anyone cook carrots or fish in a rice cooker?

A rice cooker is, by design, a food steamer. I steam vegetables in mine all the time. My fsh, I prefer sauteed or deep fried.

BTW, my rice cooker/vegetable steamer is also a slow cooker, and I can make Irish oatmeal to perfection in it also.

51vjEVVIW4L._SL1098_.jpg

Last edited:
The rice cooker is designed to cook rice automatically, without human intervention. The operator is not required to time the cooking process. You put the rice and cooking liquid in the bucket, push the RICE button and walk away. When the rice is cooked, it will stop the cooking process but continue to keep the cooked rice warm until you yank the plug out of the wall.

I have never used a rice cooker other than a pot of boiling water. The ratio is 1 cup of rice to 2 cups of water, which generally yields about 3 cups of cooked rice. It's an old fashioned way to cook rice I reckon, but it works.
I've recently discovered cooking rice in the m/wave using Hoot's proportions. No quicker than boiling in a pan but it's one thing less to have your eye on in the kitchen

I use the Hoot method, works every time and reduces the clutter in my tiny kitchen.

Back
Top Bottom