Ricing potatoes into a deep fryer.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
before i try this, has anyone ever tried ricing various types of potatoes directly into a deep fryer or fry pan?

i'm thinking of a kind of hash brown or knish idea, but lighter. i have loads of certain herbs (rosemary, chervil, mint, sage, lemon thyme, english thyme, garlic chives) and some wild onions/garlic, so i thought about experimenting.

They would probably crisp up instantly. You'd end up with crunchy potato bits with no soft texture in the center.

How would you get them out of the fryer?

I tried ricing potatoes and mixing them with ground beef into like a croquette one time. I used flour as a binder and coated them with bread crumbs. I tried deep frying them but they just disintegrated. I ended up having to pan fry them.

before i try this, has anyone ever tried ricing various types of potatoes directly into a deep fryer or fry pan?

i'm thinking of a kind of hash brown or knish idea, but lighter. i have loads of certain herbs (rosemary, chervil, mint, sage, lemon thyme, english thyme, garlic chives) and some wild onions/garlic, so i thought about experimenting.

I see a giant oil filter in your future. I don't think you will get what you are expecting.

thanks, mama. you're the best! :chef:
great minds and that. i'm just a bit slower... :stuart:

princess, will fram do?

no, i said i had a fram. why would you call me a wrench...

he hee :cool:

i'm not sure how long i can keep this going

Last edited:
Unless you have a spider with a screen type body, you could wrap the spider in cheesecloth. I envision some fairly small pieces. Ricer holes are small.

How about grating the potatoes with a box grater using the larger holes then sprinkling the shreds into the oil. That might work better. With the grater, you would use raw potatoes. With the ricer they'd have to be cooked.

thanks andy. i think my idea isn't going to work.

princess, i guess a little longer than this joke. :)

What about using something larger BT? I am thinking gnocchi or something along those lines.

The only time I use my ricer is when I make lefse. And, the potatoes do fall apart. That's why I use the ricer...You might try something like the spaghetti noodle maker on a KA stand mixer, but I think that the strands would still fall apart...

Back
Top Bottom