Ripe waxberrys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

riverli

Senior Cook
about every middle of june.there often rainy for many days in southeast china .we called the weather meirain season.
after the rainy day,the waxberry will ripe.waxberry is very very easy decay,the taste will change after even one day,so it can't be eat by other place people.i have heard a new method have been invent that this year .
some waxberry in my city have been sell to france.it can be save for about 10 days to perserve the taste .of course it will be transport by airplane
it is very short days we can eat waxberry .about 15-30 days. so every june come i will think :it is time to eat waxberry now. lololllllllll
20060415165202233.jpg

4.jpg

riverli,
You communicate so well with your text and graphics that I feel like a slacker. I tried to embed an image in a reply post to you a minute ago, but I don't know how to do it. Maybe a kindly mod. or techie could pm the secret to me.

About your waxberries. They look delicious but must not hold up to freezing. Too bad!

oh ,dear skilletliker.i post that picture because i want to show you more.i don't trust my english well.:LOL: i think picture can show more my thought.
yes ,waxberry is delicious.many many chinese like this fruit.of course low temperature can preserve it more time . but freezing can almost destroy it's taste.so it is difficult to trasport it with it's own taste to distance place.the company invent some way like low temperature to save them to sell.

Last edited:
thanks skilletlicker.thanks a lot for your praise.i think you can be my english teacher,because all my english teacher can not say and know english so well,they are all chinese ,no one of them have go oversea..lol,
i think with we talk more ,i can elaborate my feeling more well and true,i know how to post the picture,i am eager to tell you how to post ,but i can't say it clearly in english.how vexedly i am!!
i can only say clear some simply question now ,just as i can only say some easy dishes to friend.
remember the word i said before,i will learn and try .

Last edited:
riverli,

Thank you for sharing the tree and fruit with us. The fruit looks like a lychee of China. We have a tree called the strawberry tree fm Ericaceae arbutus unedo which is southern European and the fruit resembles it too. Do waxberries grow on trees or shrubs? I wonder if it would grow in southern California? Can you give me the botanical name?

I visited China and Tibet for a couple months and would have liked to have stayed longer.

You are doing very well with your English. I only managed a few words of Chinese. Your next generation will be spreaking English well since the schools are teaching it from early childhood.

dear swann,yes it maybe like lychee,but it is not lychee. lychee have hard shell and can be get in more time.
this fruit is even few than lychee.because it is origin in south china and can be eat only about 15-30 days on june , till now seldom western have eat them,so its english name is some tangly.waxberry ,i think this name maybe the most popular,i find some other name,学名:
Myrica rubra (Lour.) Sieb.et Zucc.
英文名:China Waxmyrtle, China Bayberry
科名:杨梅科 Myricaceae

it is grow in tree ,it can only grow in warm place ,so the people in north can't get them.california,is there very cool in winter?if is so ,it can't grow in there.if there is warm i think maybe the waxberry can grow.
when i see them,it grow on hill.now is the very time to eat waxberry,ningbo's waxberry is very famous in china.shanghai is about 360 kilometer far from ningbo ,now many people live in shanghai ,etc,drive to ningbo to eat fresh waxberry.
after few days ,we can't get them.
waxberry taste like strawberry,but it is more sweet and acidy,it has nucleus.
hi ,swann,next time you come to china,maybe we can disscus on internet again.we can talk more ,some maybe are useful to you.lol

riverli,
Thank you very much for the information and botanical name so I could look it up. Yes the waxberry would grow in San Diego area of California as I can grow many subtropical fruits. We have papayas, lychee, pomelos, cherimoyas growing and fruiting in our yard. We have never had a temperature below freezing at my house. We have many micro-climates in our area; just a few kms from me if does freeze at night. I did read it is sometimes called a Chinese strawberry tree. The fruit can be dried and canned. I will ask our Rare Fruit Growers organization if it is possible to obtain a waxberry tree.

waxberries!

waxberries are my favorite fruit! they taste like no other fruit. my cousin owns hundreds of waxberry trees on a waxberry hill in Ningbo, and two weeks ago i plucked thousands of them. i put some in white wine to preserve them and i'm bringing them to Los Angeles and San Diego today fresh from Ningbo! I have seeds of two kinds of waxberries, the small kind (same size as lycee) and the big kind that grows as big as oranges! i will try to grow them in san diego and see what happens, but i heard that some trees are over 500 years old so i wonder how long i would have to wait.

see you guys, i got a plane to catch right now.

Cotdt may have trouble getting thru customs. Always have to think of that.... even have to smuggle in the seeds. With the present searches that will not be easy. Fresh fruit in wine will be a problem too. I am anxious for an update!

I am glad to say the waxberry seeds and fresh waxberries in wine passed customs just fine. I am now putting the seeds in moist soil in San Diego, and hopefully a plant will come out of it in a few months. I hope this works!

Yeah no more waxberries in Ningbo for now, but maybe there is a way to grow year-round waxberries? I don't know.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom