Roasted Jicama?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pellice

Cook
I recently had raw jicama in a salad and really enjoyed it. I bought one to experiment with. Most recipes seem to be for the raw vegetable, but has anyone roasted it? I'm thinking of tossing it in oil together with potatoes, carrots, onions and roasting it say at 375F until cooked. Would jicama's flavor be lost with these other vegetables?

It retains its crunch, but is a little sweeter in flavor. It will pair well with the dish you posted. It also will mary well with hot peppers, or red pepper flakes and powders. Look online and you will find several recipes for roasted jicama. I still like it brst in salds, slaw, or in slices with a bit of lime juice splashed on top.

Another great veggie is celriac (celery root), which can be peeled and used raw like jicama, or diced and used in soups and stews, or roasted, or even diced and used in stir fries. Oh, jicama is great when used in stir fries. Its sweetnes ballances nicely against the salty soy sauce, and adds another crunchy componant. Hope that helps.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thanks for the response. I went to peel and prep the jicama and discovered it had rotted out somewhat on the inside, and was partially hollow to boot. Threw it out in the field behind my house. I guess I need to look over how to select a fresh one.

Back
Top Bottom