Rocco Dispirito

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psiguyy

Sous Chef
Looks like Rocco's career as a chef is coming to a rapid end. Latest word is he's leaving his restaurant Union Pacific which will close by the end of the year. He's already been locked out of his infamous restaurant, Rocco's.

Report is he will pursue other endeavours away from restaurant kitchens. Could his line of cheap cookware be making him that much money?

I hate to speak ill about others, but Rocco's ego sure got in the way of a lot of things. Who knew he'd get such a big head with all the fame.

Greetings, Audeo. Rocco was/is the star of a reality-type show on (I think?) FN called "Restaurant" about the excellent adventures involved in opening a new one in NYC. Probably already has a book out there somewhere too. I had nver heard of him either until I came across this show on TV. Watched a few episodes until I got bored.

Well allrightie then! Thanks for letting me know.

I just read elsewhere that we get to keep you around for a few days before the new job kicks in. Glad the orientation went well. You's bone-a-fried now!

Audeo said:
Well allrightie then! Thanks for letting me know.

I just read elsewhere that we get to keep you around for a few days before the new job kicks in. Glad the orientation went well. You's bone-a-fried now!

Right-i-o! But I don't think I'm official until I get my Permanent Name Tag and my discount card. I DO know all about safety and harassment, tho.

casserolequeen said:
I thought Roccos restraunt was called "Rocco's"? Is this place still open or did it close?

His original restaurant is called Union Pacific. He was there for quite a while.

Jefferey Chodoro (sp?), a man who has built a restaurant empire, and Rocco went into business together and opened Rocco's. That's the restaurant that was the basis for the reality show, "The Restaurant."

By the time Rocco's was open, Despirito's ego had grown into a monster. He spent more time self-promoting than he did running his restaurants. Chodoro finally got so fed up with the restaurant losing money that he stepped in to take over. They ended up in court and I think while everything is in litigation, the judge locked Rocco out of the restaurant. Lot of drama and Rocco came out of it looking like a spoiled brat.

Rocco is an idiot who was only used as a posterboy because his physical traits could be marketed to appeal to the majority of television viewers. He has no clue as to how to run a restaurant, much less be a chef. He was supposed to be somewhat of an Emerill Lagasse who would appeal to the Gen X'ers, as the majority of Emerill's viewers stem from the Baby Boomers. However, Rocco's true charater--or rather lack thereof--materialized on the show in a real life environment, and he could not overcome his deficiencies as a chef.

99% of people out there do not understand that being a great Chef does not necessarily equate to being able to run a restaurant, or even to properly run a kitchen.

I never got into the show, although I did watch a couple of the episodes.

My boss has a cookbook by Rocco Espirito, I think it's called "Flavor". It's in my bosses "library" in his office "nook".

ironchef said:
Rocco is an idiot who was only used as a posterboy because his physical traits could be marketed to appeal to the majority of television viewers. He has no clue as to how to run a restaurant, much less be a chef. He was supposed to be somewhat of an Emerill Lagasse who would appeal to the Gen X'ers, as the majority of Emerill's viewers stem from the Baby Boomers. However, Rocco's true charater--or rather lack thereof--materialized on the show in a real life environment, and he could not overcome his deficiencies as a chef.

99% of people out there do not understand that being a great Chef does not necessarily equate to being able to run a restaurant, or even to properly run a kitchen.

who are some chefs we would have heard of that you admire?

I'm not sure if anyone has heard of these Chef's, but they blow anyone that Food Network has out of the water. If anyone has a chance, please try one or more of these restaurants.

Eric Ripert - Le Bernardin, NYC
Charlie Palmer - Aureole, NYC
Terrance Brennan - Picholine, NYC
Daniel Boloud - Restaurant Daniel, NYC
Marcus Samuelsson - Aquavit, NYC
Charlie Trotter - Charlie Trotter's, Chicago
Rick Tramonto - Tru, Chicago
Kevin Shikami - Restaurant Kevin, Chicago
Jimmy Schmidt - The Rattlesnake Club, Detroit
Takashi Yagihashi - Tribtue Restaurant, Farmington Hills, MI
Patrick O'Connell - The Inn at Little Washington, VA
Alice Waters - Chez Panisse, Berkley, CA
Gary Danko - Restaurat Gary Danko, San Fran.
Thomas Keller - The French Laundry, Napa Valley
Hubert Keller - Fluer de Lys, San Fran.
Ron Siegel - Masa's, San Fran.
Tracy des Jardins - Jardiniere, San Fran.

Ironchef, have heard of most of them, but have never been able to afford to go to any.

Live about twenty miles from the Inn at Little Washington. But it costs at least one hundred bucks per plate, not including wine, tax and tip, and a deuce cannot get out of the place for less than about $400.

I cannot afford that tab.

If you have enjoyed all of those chefs, God bless you.

I agree Rocco squandered a chance that comes to very few.

In my humble estimation the guy needs a bit of maturing.

Most of us at this forum are home cooks. And there are professionals who help the rest of us out.

Most of us will never, or expect to, reach the culinary expertise of a Thomas or Hubert Keller.

But we do try, and we get by.

And sometimes we can put out a decent meal.

Thank you.

Edited for spelling, I hate when I do that.

Well said, auntdot. I also live near-ish to The Inn at Little Washington and would never think of eating there without winning the lottery first!

thanks for the tips ironchef. i'll have to see if i can try the ones you mentioned in nyc. if i do, i'll be sure to report back.

Back
Top Bottom