Rolling Pins - what do you like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

choclatechef

Washing Up
I bought myself a new rolling pin, because the one I have, has a handle that keeps coming off.

It got me to thinking.

What kind of rolling pins do you guys like -- tapered, french style, ball bearing?

What size do you like -- small barrell, large barrell?

Do you like wood, nylon, aluminum, stainless steel, marble.....?

What makes you like the kind of rolling pin you like?

choclatechef said:
What kind of rolling pins do you guys like -- tapered, french style, ball bearing?...What size do you like -- small barrell, large barrell?...Do you like wood, nylon, aluminum, stainless steel, marble.....?...What makes you like the kind of rolling pin you like?

Great question! (I'm not sure about a barrel on a rolling pin, but I'm guessing it means diameter :?: )

anyway...I have 2, both wooden. One is about 20" long and 2" diameter and is basically just a wooden cylinder (no handles). The other is an "antique" (older, anyway - picked it up at an estate sale many years ago) - it has handles, the roller part is 12" long and 3" diameter and is heavier.

The first is the one I tend to use most - I like the extra length. The 2nd I use at times to roll out pasta or pie dough when I want the extra weight.

I never even knew there were metal rolling pins - wow! - learned yet another thing from you, c-chef!

BTW - what kinds of rolling pins do you have and which ones do you like best?

I have to respond, even though I don't bake enough to have a preference. The rolling pin I have is my mother-in-laws. Itis quite narrow, has handles, but is carved in one piece.

You'll like this --

One December during the depression, a man came around selling Christmas trees. He sold one to my mother-in-law.

He showed up a couple weeks later and she paid him to haul it away.

He showed up a day or two later, with a rolling pin he'd carved from the trunk of the tree, and sold IT to her.

Both were poor, and Betty probably only paid a few dollars for the entire exchange. But I love my rolling pin and the story that goes with it.

Wow. That truly is a wonderful family legend, Claire!

I have several, most of which I have not used in years. Long ago, I became more comfortable and adept in using a French-style pin with slightly tapered ends. Mine is made out of maple (I think) and probably cost about $5 when I got it. Today, they can still be hand for under $12.

That is a very interesting one there, choclatechef. Probably designed to be chilled, which could be interesting! Do let us know what you think when you get it!

Audeo, I had it shipped to my girlfriend. It is her Christmas present.

She is the one who recently bought that Hobart Kitchenaid mixer. I thought she would need it.

My favorite rolling pin is a piece of scrap dowel that I took from a construction site rubbish pile. No, I didn't steal it. It was a home I was having built and I told the contractor I was taking it. A little bit of sanding and I had my rolling pin.

I have a heavy wooden rolling pin that works great and also doubles as my home defense system! I hear that a chilled aluminum rolling pin works great when rolling out dough. Anyone else ever hear of that?

DC, I have a nice heavy wooden one too. The handles are made to "roll" as you are rolling out dough so you don't have to reposition your hands. My grandpa made it for my grandma when the gor married & she passed it down to my mother & my mother on down to me. Not only does it hold a special place in my heart, but I love the way it feels in my hands & how well it rolls things out, including home inturders! :LOL:

DampCharcoal said:
I have a heavy wooden rolling pin that works great and also doubles as my home defense system! I hear that a chilled aluminum rolling pin works great when rolling out dough. Anyone else ever hear of that?

:LOL: Is it like the one I gave my girlfriend?

Wow crewsk, I did not know so many folks made their own pins and had these family heirlooms that are so precious to them.

Audeo said:
That is a very interesting one there, choclatechef. Probably designed to be chilled, which could be interesting! Do let us know what you think when you get it!

When I read this, it reminded me of a plastic rolling pin that my mom got from Tupperware. One end of it has a cap that you take off to fill the rolling pin with ice to keep it cold when rolling out pie crust & anything else that needs to be kept cold while rolling.

tsk, task Damp.....rolling pins are a legitimate kitchen equipment piece -- shotguns aren't.

DampCharcoal said:
LOL, Choc!!! Crewsk, for home "inturders" I have a single shot 20 guage shotgun of the sawed off variety! Nobody better inturd MY place! :LOL:

DC, I have a Bersa 380 for that purpose too! Plus several other shotguns & my sons .22 works if I'm in a pinch. :LOL: But if I happen to be in the kitchen away from the guns, the rolling pin will work wonders.

choclatechef said:
subfuscpersona, I bought my girlfriend an aluminum rolling pin on Ebay. Here is the link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=3853440883&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT

Wow c-chef - I checked out your link. I already knew you're the queen of kitchen equipment and the queen of soul food but now I know you're also the queen of eBay buying. What a fantastic buy!

Can you give me some advice re buying rolling pins on eBay? My younger daughter makes terrific pastry (she worked at a local pastry shop for awhile). She's equiping her first "real" kitchen and I know she would appreciate a professional rolling pin like the one you got for your friend. I know how to bid on eBay, what I'm looking for are descriptions or brands I can translate into eBay search terms. I'm willing to lurk until I find something that comes close to the bargain you got. (Her birthday is in June - that gives me plenty of time.) TIA

choclatechef said:
tsk, task Damp.....rolling pins are a legitimate kitchen equipment piece -- shotguns aren't.

I think cast iron frying pans are better. Besides, they have this satisfying little ringing sound when you whack the head of an intruder. :twisted:

[quote="subfuscpersona
Can you give me some advice re buying rolling pins on eBay? My younger daughter makes terrific pastry (she worked at a local pastry shop for awhile). She's equiping her first "real" kitchen and I know she would appreciate a professional rolling pin like the one you got for your friend. I know how to bid on eBay, what I'm looking for are descriptions or brands I can translate into eBay search terms. I'm willing to lurk until I find something that comes close to the bargain you got. (Her birthday is in June - that gives me plenty of time.) TIA[/quote]

Thanks for the kudos!

Sure I will help you. What are friends for? Why don't I just periodically bump this thread up and post some likely canidates for you? Will that work?

Back
Top Bottom