Rules when making preserves from canned fruits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CookoCookoman

Assistant Cook
I'm thinking about making a preserve as a present to a someone im interested in who likes a certain fruit that cannot be so easily found fresh. Ive found a source online that is "light syrup"
I figure i'd drain it thoroughly first, but what other pointers can you give regarding following a preserves recipe beyond that? I would definitely choose fresh if i could, but it seems near impossible. I'd assume the canning process "cooks" the fruit atleast a bit and so cooking times would be lessened. Help! :)

Thanks in advance!

Apologies for the vagueness.

The fruit in question is a small berry. The reason I was thinking i'd have to change the cooking times is that the recipes call for fresh, and I only have access to internet-ordered canned. Canned are generally softer, and i was under the impression they essentially go under a process similar to cooking during the canning process. Thanks!

I'm thinking about making a preserve as a present to a someone im interested in who likes a certain fruit that cannot be so easily found fresh. Ive found a source online that is "light syrup"
I figure i'd drain it thoroughly first, but what other pointers can you give regarding following a preserves recipe beyond that? I would definitely choose fresh if i could, but it seems near impossible. I'd assume the canning process "cooks" the fruit atleast a bit and so cooking times would be lessened. Help! :)

Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't bother. I'm afraid the fruit would turn to mush. I would be afraid of processing for less time, because opening the can will let in micro-organisms, so to be safe, the original processing time should probably be used.

I wouldn't bother. I'm afraid the fruit would turn to mush. I would be afraid of processing for less time, because opening the can will let in micro-organisms, so to be safe, the original processing time should probably be used.

To be clear, youre saying that you wouldn't bother making the recipe at all because the fruit would mush up? When making blueberry jam it more or less turned to mush but still was great every time i used it. Hm, i don't want to give up, but i also dont really want to make a total disaster.

I have only ever made freezer jam, so can't help, but wanted to say welcome!:chef:

I am a preserves/jams/jellies virgin, but isn't the actual cooking of the fruit pretty important to release the sugars and natural pectin of the fruit into the finished product?

I think your idea is a good one and very thoughtful. Just may need to go with the freezer version if you are using a pre-cooked/processed fruit.

Again, you may disregard this as I don't know a whole lot about the process.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom