Rump or Chuck for slicing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skull Guy

Assistant Cook
Hey all - I have a 4 pound chuck roast and a 4.5 pound rolled rump roast a neighbor gave me from his cow. She was an older cow but the ground beef we have had has had good flavor.

We want to slice roast beef for sandwiches, which of those 2 cuts would be better for that? I can cook in a slow cooker, oven or hearth in the house. Thanks!

Ok thanks. Crockpot is probably the way to go?

I don't use a crock pot. If the objective is to cook the meat to medium or medium rare, the oven is your best choice. Use a meat thermometer and cook at a low oven temperature at a setting of 225ºF. Internal temperature for the meat should be around 130ºF-135ºF.

It's a "rolled rump roast". Won't that make slices that are spirals?

Whichever you choose, try to cut the slices across the grain.

I’d go with the round. Don’t cook it past medium.

Andy is right. I cook 30 lb beef inside rounds every day at the deli..I roast it uncovered at 300 degrees until it hit's 100..then, I take it out and put it in the refrigerator for a day before we slice it the next..it gets rare in the middle but once you slice it all thinly, and mix it up you get a nice blend of rare to med-well slices...we also portion them in small, 6 oz bags and reheat in the microwave for about 20-25 seconds for hoagies and hot beef sandwiches...it comes out nice...tender and moist

Here is one of our deli sandwiches..you can see the beef is still very moist and tender..

Attachments

• user34941_pic7767_1547988244.jpg
    user34941_pic7767_1547988244.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
Andy is right. I cook 30 lb beef inside rounds every day at the deli..I roast it uncovered at 300 degrees until it hit's 100..then, I take it out and put it in the refrigerator for a day before we slice it..it gets rare in the middle but once you slice it all thinly, and mix it up you get a nice blend of rare to med-well slices...we also portion them in small, 6 oz bags and reheat in the microwave for about 25 seconds for hoagies and hot beef sandwiches...it comes out nice...tender and moist

Excellent... :yum:

Ross

Back
Top Bottom