Run for the hills, it's another noob!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BurnsWater

Cook
Greetings all! I'm new to this forum, and, as you might've guessed from looking at my member name, new to cooking as well. I don't have any gadgets, I don't know any techniques, and I couldn't say the French or Italian name for anything... but I have been able on several occasions to produce something reasonably tasty, so there's still hope! :D

Welcome to DC. I like to get things started by giving out my pancake recipe. It is enjoyed by many. You can find advice about virtually any kind of cooking that you are interested in, by some extraordinary people here. Enjoy, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Chief's Pancake Recipe
Ingredients:
Dry:
1 cup AP flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tbs. sugar
2 tsp. double-acting baking powder

Wet:
1 large egg
3 tbs. cooking oil
3/4 cup milk

Whisk together the dry ingredients in a bowl. Add the wet ingredients, and whisk to form a batter with small lumps. The lumps will disappear while the pancakes are cooking.

Heat a griddel over medium heat until drips of water sizzle on the surface. Rub with a tbs. of cooking oil. Spoon batter onto the pan (I use three tbs. batter per pancake). Cook until bubbles tart to form, then carefully flip. Cook another minute and a half or so, until the other side is lightly browned. Remove and serve immediately.

These pancakes are not gooey, but are melt-in-your-mouth tender and fluffy. Very moist, like a great piece of cake. Top with soft butter, then buckwheat honey, wild honey, maple syrup, or fruit preserves. My Dad used to love to spoon sausage grease over his pancakes. Everyone thought he was nuts using the hot fat instead of butter. They thought it unhealthy as well. Turns out that pork fat has less cholesterol than does butter. He was on to something.

I do that once in a while. I like the flavor of both. I imagine the hot fat drippings from bacon would work also.

Any way you like to top them, they will take care of your pancake cravings.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom