Saint Patrick's Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
....you mean instead the typical corned beef/cabbage/potato dinner?

One year I made a really yummy baked potato soup, since it was such a cold week. Different, but equally as festive.

Well, I will be making the usual..Corned beef, cabbage, potatoes, and assorted veggies, french bread and some type of dessert..Probably a salad of some sort..DH, loves his corned beef so anything else is a no no:LOL:

kadesma

I do corned beef, cabbage, potaotes, (served with many varieties of horseradish and vinegars) then bake a green cake and dark green frosting.
Here's the catch. I'm, 75% German 25% Hungarian!!! I have nothing more original to offer.
I think DH may be Irish somewhere, maybe a foot or 2?

I want to bake something that is green. Maybe green cupcakes?
I'd do a yellow cup cake with green frosting...or shortbread cookies could be tinted greet. Although I feel I'd leave the cookie as is and then frost it in green..Seems to be the color would be more vibrant that way.You could make some large cookies and make ice cream sandwiches with them and some mint ice cream...

kadesma

I decided to take some pressure off myself and not worry about making my own Corned beef in time for St Patty' Day. I am still doing the traditional Corned beef, cabbage, potatoes and onions. Much to the despair of some of my "foodie" friends, I don't feel tradition is necessarily a bad (or boring) thing. It lets you re-live holiday meals of past years, share those memories with new generations and forms a kind of culinary "glue" that helps families bond in ways that other pasttimes just can't match. Besides...my wife is Irish-American and would beat me with a large uncorned brisket if I tried to slip anything else by.

I never did anything for St. Patrick's Day before this except make everyone wear green plastic fedoras and eat Lucky Charms. When we moved to San Antonio, I discovered they have a tradition of dying the river green and all the restaurants on the RiverWalk serve green beer that day. When I found that out, I started getting up early and putting green food coloring in the milk (for the lucky charms). The little kids thought a leprechaun sneaked in and left them lucky milk. This year I'm going to make shamrock shaped sugar cookies with bright green icing (which I will sprinkle with Lucky Charms before the icing dries). And I'll be wearing my green fedora, too!

St Pat's day here is traditionally wear something green and drink a lot of Guiness!! Never heard of special food being had outside of an Irish pub or restaurant!! LOL

Black pudding often makes it to a pub menu on the day.

Zucchini Cakes with lime icing would be green.

I will be working long hours that day but will still make the traditional corned beef and garbage.

Or maybe do it the Sunday before.

I love the stuff, OK, if only once a year.

To me St. Patty's day is a harbinger of spring, like the first robin. I don't know when I am going to see the first robin, already have this year, but I know when St. Pat's day is.

To me there are times when the usual is comforting.

So corned beef and garbage it shall be.

auntdot, your "corned beef and garbage" gave me a chuckle. I will make corned beef and all the usual trimmings. I may try to make some Irish Soda Bread, as well. If it doesn't turn out, Publix bakery makes a good one. I love corned beef.

just to get it out of the way one more time :chef:, boiled corned beef, cabbage and potatoes is an irish-american dish. throughout history, pork was the preference in ireland.

when the irish came to america, beef was more readily available. so, they treated a "corned" (or salted for preservation) beef brisket the same way they would have cooked a piece of salted, cured joint of pork - aka boiling bacon. they'd soak it to remove excess salt, then boil with cabbage, spuds, and root veggies. the same kinda veggies readily available in the cool, damp climate of home.

ok, i've done me duty. tiocfaidh ar la!!!!

since it's on a monday, i'm tempted to head up to the bronx and get a full irish breakfast after work: fried eggs, black and white pudding (sausages), irish bacon, boxty, an herb roasted tomato, and brown bread and butter. and lots of barry's tea.
lots and lots of tea.

ok, so having said all of that, we'll be havin' our corned beef, cabbage, and spuds on the feast of saint patrick.

it wouldn't be patty's day without it.

(btw, it's a good time to thank all of your italian neighbors whose flags have faded through the winter, for now flyin' the green white and orange.) :cool:

Last edited:
Bucky, the pork sounds great but we will be doing the stuff I have had for sixty years or so.

Lyndalou, I am glad you had a chuckle. My sister and I called it that since we were kids.

We grew up in a Brooklyn neighborhood that was half Irish, half Italian, and half Jewish. OK, it was a crowded area. But on St. Patty's day all of us were a bit of Irish.

Love the corned beef traditional stuff. Even if it is not exactly Irish traditional as per Bucky. But every family in my area of Brooklyn ate the stuff, whether they were Irish or not.

But many years later we still call it corned beef and garbage, no aspersions intended. I look forward to it every year.

i'm gonna go to my beloved corned beef joint & buy a sammich & some drinks & provide a green-iced cake fer my guy.

And for dessert:

Pistachio Delight :rolleyes:

1 3.4 oz package Jello pistachio pudding
1 20 oz can crushed pineapple
1 cup mini marshmallows
1 banana, sliced
1/2 cup finely chopped Pecans
1 8-ounce package cool whip, thawed

Mix together all ingredients (except cool whip). Fold in cool whip, refrigerate for at least 4 hours until to set. Stir well and serve.

Pistachio Pudding Cake

I want to bake something that is green. Maybe green cupcakes?

Virgo, I first had this cake baked by a woman who could NOT cook her way out of a paper bag. I LOVED it!

I've since made it several times - it's fool proof (evidently), delicious and GREEN! Good for Christmas, too.

Lee

Pistachio Pudding Cake

Cake mixture:

1 box white cake mix
1 box Royal Pistachio Pudding Mix
1 cup water
1/2 cup oil
4 eggs

Sugar mixture:

1/2 cup sugar
1 teas cinnamon
1 teas pumpkin pie mix
1/2 cup walnuts

Half fill a greased tube or bundt pan with the cake mixture. Pour on half of the sugar mixture and stir in a little, with a knife. Pour in rest of cake mixture, then MOST of the rest of the sugar mixture on top of that. Stir with knife again. Sprinkle the remainder of the sugar mixture on top.

Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees.

When cake is de-panned and cooled, sprinkle confectioner's sugar on top.

Last edited:
I agree with Bilby, We have to have LOTS of Guiness, I LOVE that stuff, and also a MUST HAVE is GREEN BEER, I know it doesn't sound too good, BUT Hey!!!, its a Tradition, at least here in Aussie land, and the Guiness is GREAT, I was bought up on the stuff, thats why I love it so much. I cant go without it on a normal day, let alone ST. Patties Day!!!:LOL:

One year, I had a St. Patrick's Day dinner party and served a boneless leg of lamb that had been rubbed inside and out with mustard and rosemary, then roasted to medium-rare. Yum :chef:

Back
Top Bottom