Salmon Challenge (July)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't take a picture this time... But I made a salmon in a papillote, with a leek and vermouth cream sauce. Great. Had some leftovers that turned into a great pasta sauce (with green peas), the day after.

To make the leek and vermouth cream sauce, I softened the leeks in butter, added the vermouth, let it simmer for a while, added equal pats of chicken broth and cream and let it reduce to half. Then I poured this sauce over the raw salmon fillets, in aluminum foil, closed the papillote and baked for 20 minutes at 400 F.

Kats
(www.onfoodanddrinks.com)

kats said:
I didn't take a picture this time... But I made a salmon in a papillote, with a leek and vermouth cream sauce. Great. Had some leftovers that turned into a great pasta sauce (with green peas), the day after.

To make the leek and vermouth cream sauce, I softened the leeks in butter, added the vermouth, let it simmer for a while, added equal pats of chicken broth and cream and let it reduce to half. Then I poured this sauce over the raw salmon fillets, in aluminum foil, closed the papillote and baked for 20 minutes at 400 F.

Kats
(www.onfoodanddrinks.com)

Kats, that sounds like heaven on a plate. Can you share the exact recipe with us. TIA :)

Salmon is one of my favorite things in the world - have had it twice already this month -
Had an old family standby first -

SALMON, PUGET SOUND
Recipe By :a Chef's Journey via Sunset Magazine, 80s.

3 pounds Salmon fillet
1/2 lemon -- just the juice
2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
1 tablespoon fresh tarragon -- chopped, or 1 tsp. dry leaves

Rinse fish & pat dry.
Lay fillet, skin down on double thickness of foil.
Ream juice from lemon & brush over fish.
Sprinkle w/brown sugar and tarragon leaves.
Grill for approx. 10 min. or till done.
or
Roast in a 425 oven for ~18 min. or to 140°
-------
and this week -

* Exported from MasterCook *
SALMON WITH ROASTED ASPARAGUS

Salmon with Roasted Asparagus and Lemon-Caper Sauce
Preheat oven to 450.
Arrange ~1 lb. asparagus, trimmed, on a rimmed baking sheet.
Drizzle with 1 T. e-v. olive oil and turn the asparagus to coat.
Sprinkle w/salt & pepepr.
Place salmon on top of asparagus; sprinkle w/salt & pepper.
Roast till salmon is just opaque in center, ~20 min.
Transfer asparagus and salmon to a platter. Spoon the sauce (below) over. Makes 4 servings.

Lemon-Caper Sauce
Mix together:
2 T. fresh lemon juice
2 T. minced red onion
1 T. olive oil
1 T. drained capers, chopped
1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme (mine looks horrible right now, so used dry - not bad )
1/2 tsp. lemon zest (I use almost the entire lemon's zest)
This is really good -

-----

and doing for a party next week -

TERRINES OF SMOKED SALMON & SCALLOPS
Recipe By :a Chef's Journey via Bon Appetit, 12/01
Serving Size : 12

2 lbs sea scallops
1 c dry white wine
1 1/3 c Chives -- fresh, chopped
3/4 c Creme Fraiche -- or sour cream
1/2 c minced fresh tarragon + 3 T.
5 tbsps Dijon mustard
1 1/3 c diced peeled seeded English hothouse cucumber
1 lb thinly sliced smoked slamon
3/4 c olive oil
1/3 c tarragon vinegar
2 bunch watercress -- thick stems trimmed
2 head Belgian endive -- large, trimmed, leaves separated

Combine scallops & wine in skillet. Cover & simmer over med. heat till scallops are just opaque in center, ~5 min. Drain; chill till cold ~2 hours. Cut scallops into 1/2" pcs.
Line 12 3/4-cup souffle dishes w/plastic wrap, extending over sides by 3". Whisk 1 cup fresh chives, creme fraiche, 1/2 cup tarragon & 3 T. mustard in large bowl to blend.
Gently stir in scallops & cucumber. Season w/salt/Pepper. Cut 12 rounds from salmon slices to fit bottom of souffle dishes; place 1 round in each dish.

Top each with 1/4 cup scallop mixture. Top each w/another layer of salmon, trimming to fit. Divide remaining scallop mixture among dishes - about 1/4 cup for each. Top each with a third layer of salmon, trimming to fit. Fold plastic wrap overhang over terrines to enclose completely. Chill at least 4 hours. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep chilled.)

Whisk oil, vinegar & 1/3 cup chives, 3 T. tarragon & 2 T. mustard in medium bowl to blend. Season to taste w/salt/pepper.

Unfold plastic wrap atop each terrine. Invert 1 terrine onto each of 12 plates. Peel off plastic wrap from each terrine. Surround each terrine w/watercress sprigs & endive leaves. Drizzle greens & terrines w/vinaigrette & serve.

Description:
"These can be made one day ahead, then drizzle w/vinaigrette just before serving."

Great sounding recipe's. strangely enough we are having salmon tonight. I think I have had your SALMON, PUGET SOUND before and loved it. may do it tonight :chef:
Thank you all for sharing.

I have to admit I'm a bit fish shy now with fresh salmon. I tried to fix it once several years ago and I didn't care for it. I can't recall the recipe but all the ingredients that went into it sounded amazing so I figured it had to be really good.

So ultimtely the only time we eat salmon is when I make good ole' fashioned salmon patties.......something I grew up on so its comfort in a patty.

Back
Top Bottom