Sandra Lee's New FoodNetwork Show

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NOT TRUE. Get your facts straight Chefkathleen - Food Lion most decidedly did NOT go out of business at any time by "doing what Chiffonade says is industry standard". Where the heck are you two people getting this totally idiotic nonsense from???? Does anyone bother to check facts these days, or do you just type whatever comes into your heads??? And please don't tell me you know this because you owned/operated a restaurant & your father worked for a dairy - lol!!!

You don't need to be so snide about it. I don't like being called an idiot and I suggest you check yourself before saying it again. If you would have read the post, I put IIRC. IF I RECALL CORRECTLY. Which means I didn't google like you do/did. Here in the town I live in, that was what was said. (Didn't google the local paper to see if it was in there too) Now if VA is different that's fine. I DO know that they are no longer near where I live. People tend to take it personally when a grocery store messes with our food and lies to us.

First off - Kathleen, you're right, I did sound snide & I apologize. I didn't call you an idiot, I said the "nonsense" was idiotic, & frankly (although not at all meant as an excuse) it was because I was still wired from Chiffonade & all that stuff about commercially-sliced mushrooms coming from rotten produce, commercially-made chocolate milk from returned milk - yadayadayada. I guess you can say I was suffering from "passionate spillover". Please do accept my apology.

As for the Food Lion episode, I didn't Google it. Didn't have to. It was on everyone's lips when we moved here to VA in 1994, since Food Lion was the major supermarket chain here at the time. In some more rural areas, it still is. But I do know that the company didn't go out of business because of the "scandal", although they did suffer some closings once more upscale markets started moving in. In fact, that's why many Food Lions were remarketed recently into "Bloom" markets. Same company, more upscale market (read, more expensive - lol!).

Anyway - again, please accept my apology. I should have stepped back from my keyboard.

I do accept your apology and still agree with you on other matters that we've discussed here. In a way the Food Lion thing could be used as a tool for other markets to take note. Don't mess with people and their food, it ticks them off and you will lose business.

While I do not agree with everything chiffonade has said I have to step forward on the chocolate milk thing. It DOES happen, and it happens a lot. What you might have missed was the bit about it being "reprocessed". That means the milk will be at its best before date and then will be brought back and repasteurized or whatever they call it now, and they add the chocolate then. This extends shelf life a bit and the chocolate disguises any flavour oddity. It is by no means the ONLY milk used for chocolate milk, I'm sure they put a shwack of the fresh stuff in there too.

And just to get us back on track a bit, I don't have the first clue who Sandra Lee is. I don't know whether I've just missed her show or what? Any Canadians out there who can enlighten me?

I rarely catch her shows (since I rarely watch Food Network these days), but I believe she now has two shows. One is "Semi-Homemade", wherein she cooks a meal combining some commercially-prepared products with homemade products, & now this new one "Money-Saving Meals".

While I haven't caught her new one, her "Semi-Homemade" recipes really aren't much different than many of the recipes folks here on DC post, so I don't know what all the hoopla is about. Think about it - if you use condensed soup or a bag of "broccoli slaw" in a recipe, it's "semi-homemade". I certainly don't have a problem with that.

I never understand why anyone would really turn to a Cooking show to watch somebody work with prepared food. I realize that not everyone feels comfortable in a kitchen, but isn't that supposed to be why a person would watch a show. To learn and become more comfortable?

I think her biggest supporters are mom's like I was, 4 kids hanging on your shirt tail wanting to eat NOW, you've run out of ideas, you have a job, a house to clean and a DH who works long hours to take care of you. So you try as best you can to put food on the table at a decent time. What's wrong with already cut slaw? or frozen veggies? A can of soup is not going to kill you. I say do the best you can, the most important thing is to all sit down to supper together, bow your head and say thank you for what you've been given...
kadesma

Back
Top Bottom