Sandwich tricks???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking4to

Senior Cook
I love sandwich tricks, I make a lot of sandwiches. When we are bringing a dish to a cookout I always do a platter of 3-6 kinds of finger sandwiches.

I do a seafood salad on a plain roll {I make all different rolls for each sandwich},
my seafood salad is easy, mini shrimp, lemon zest and juice, 1/2 miracle whip 1/2 hellmans real mayo, imitation crab meat, celery, and scallions.

Then a Tuna on a spinach roll, tuna is simple again 1/2 m.m. and half real mayo, then some onions cut as small as I can get them, and italian bread crumbs, the trick to tuna is getting ALL the moisture out, I find if you buy the larger cans you get better tuna, the small cans gets you junk, the large can you get a whole piece of fish.

Shaved roast beef and cream cheese on garlic roll, this is a favorite of everyone, its basically a rare roast beef {I roast and slice my own, but for cookouts, I will just buy boars head band rare rb}, I mix 1/2 mascarpone and 1/2 philly cream cheese, then put roast beef and slice a nice firm tomato for it...

A cuke and tomato on basil roll, this is easy, cucumber and tomato marinaded in balsamic oil and vinegar with some fresh buff mozz.

I also do a chicken salad, which is the toughest one, I roast an entire deboned chicken, then shred it, and mix it with mayo, 1/2 mayo mix, brown sugar, celery salt, garlic powder, and onion powder, sometimes I will add celery, bell peppers, onions, whole tiny cherry tomatoes, ect it depends on what looks good at the market...

I am always looking for more sandwich recipes for the arsenal, do any of you have a never fail that i can incorporate? Thanks If anyone wants more specific recipes message me.. I do most of it by eye and taste, but have some good starting points...

Ham salad or egg salad. I like to add thin slices green pepper and slivers of jalapeno pepper crisp lettuce and tomatoes slices when in season.

Egg Salad on pumpernickel. or skip the jalapeno and add tarragon.

Sliced chicken, bacon, tomato ettuce smoked gouda, sliced pears or avocado,

Brie, thin slices pear, red onion

Make a Caesar salad, sliced grilled chicken, tomatoes

Good old peanut butter and bacon and lettuce.

Who needs the rest of the picnic if you have good sandwiches. :yum:

My current go-to condiment for sandwiches is pickled red onions. Absolutely delicious on pulled pork and sliders.

Turkey/bacon/avocado slices on an eggy style bread, like Challah or Brioche. If you add cheese, a creamy kind like Havarti is very nice.

Roast beast sandwiches are good with a Boursin-style cheese. I also make a spread with a combo of real mayo/horseradish/Dijon-style mustard that works great with beef. Or ham. Or pretty much anything.

In your tuna salad, substitute finely minced shallot for the onion. It's a subtly different improvement. I pretty much macerate the shallot in my mini-processor.

I've made chicken salad with dried cranberries and chopped walnuts and a bit of garam masala seasoning. Oddly enough, Himself actually likes this way better than my other favorite. It combines chunks of cooked chicken with green grapes and sliced almonds with a dash of cinnamon. Either of those are great on croissants. Substitute sour cream or Greek yogurt for half of the mayo you would use to make these.

When the daughter was in school she would go on periods of one kind for awhile, like ham and cheese for a couple of weeks then she would want just PBJ or turkey for a week or 2
to liven them up I would use cookie cutters to make different shapes. flowers, hearts, snowman etc.
Little sandwiches are a great idea, especially when kids are involved as they might not want what others are having or might have a picky eater. What kid doesn't like a shaped sandwich.
Thanks cooking4to for the idea

Brie, bacon and grape or apple

Brie and grape on walnut sourdough bread (or ordinary bread with walnuts as part of the filling).

Peanut butter (crunchy or smooth, whichever you prefer) and grated/shredded carrot on mixed grain bread (don't knock it 'til you've tried it.)

Cold roast pork with apple sauce.

Good cheddar with fruit chutney or pickles.

Tuna and caper spread - canned tuna, butter, lemon juice and capers mashed together and sandwiched with lettuce, tomato and cucumber on wholewheat, mixed grain or other interesting bread

I like avocado on my chicken salad *sarnies. (Probably not very practical if you are making them in advance because of discolouration.)

(* Liverpool slang for sandwiches)

Make some killer mayo by stirring in some minced garlic and a squirt or two of lime juice. Amounts depend on your garlic tolerance, and you don't want the juice to make the mayo too sour or milky. I like intense garlic, so I target 1-2 cloves per sandwich, and just a touch of lime juice (squeeze, say, a quarter lime for 2-3 large sandwiches). Spread that on both halves of your favorite crusty roll, then slap on some roasted red peppers, avocado slices, sprouts, cilantro, and thinly sliced red onions and cucumbers that have been marinated in rice wine vinegar and a bit of sugar.

I don't find meat necessary with this, but if you must use it, I'd suggest either chicken breast or pork, smashed thin, and skillet-fried with soy sauce, sriracha, lime juice, and salt/pepper. Tempeh is a great veg alternative for the meat, to get a bit of protein.

Bacon, Avocado and Tomato

Not much of a sandwich eater.

I actually made this a few weeks ago... girlfriend and I loved it.

Thanks, PF. I was wondering what to have this evening. I'll buy an avocado on the way to the stables and have bacon, avocado and tomato sandwich for supper when I get home.

Nice!, I'm enjoying broccoli and radish sprouts on sandwiches lately, too...much more than lettuce.

Been looking for Butter lettuce to make wraps.

AWESOME, contributions guys and gals..

I was never crazy about lettuce on sandwiches, not sure why. I go through phases, I used to be all about relishes, chutney, chow chow... I used to make so many different ones, Pepper relish, sweet vidalia onion relish, sweet hot chow chow, paccalilli, berry chutney, etc, etc, etc... Now I have been doing the sweet pickle chips with banana peppers...

But I do a lot of sandwiches, the relishes are nice because lettuce, tomato and mayo gets sickening, every sandwich starts to taste the same, where if you take that normal turkey on white and add a sweet relish with a spicy cheese, you can get something different that you love...

I also love lettuce wraps, here are some cool ideas..
http://www.buzzfeed.com/emofly/lettuce-wraps#.rk0EvOBjb

I like those lettuce wrap ideas. Thanks!

Last edited:
A favorite in our house is saved sirloin, cooked medium rare over charcoal, with mayo, or EVOO, fresh bean sprouts, and avacado slices. This could ealily be transformed into a finger sandwich.

1 slice good pepperoni, 1 slice good dry salami, 1 slice capicola, provolone cheese, extra-virgin olive oil, sliced black olives, crispy lettuce leaf cut to size, all served on potato bread dinner rolls.

Carnitas served in rolled mini flour tortilla with guacamole.

Thin sliced ham with American cheese, rolled and sliced into pinwheels, served with sliced green olives in a finger sandwich, with honey mustard.

Thin steak cut into squares to fit finger sandwiches, pan fried with S & P to rare, and put on a bun with steak sauce, and a sauted mushroom cap.

How can you have a sandwich trey without egg-salad sandwiches. Add powdered mustard to the egg salad mixture to add depth and complexity to the flavor.

Mini sloppy joes

Mini pig-in-the-blankets, made with yeast bread dough, and good hot dogs that have been cut into four pieces.

Hope that gives you some added ideas.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Now that was a fun blast from the past, AB! Now I'm craving me some pimiento cheese.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom