Sat. April 22 of the year 2023 - and supper is...???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragnlaw

Site Team
Staff member
20230422_185016.jpg
20230422_185231.jpg

Why dirty another plate? Tilapia in a garlic butter drizzle with sweet red pepper, some asparagus and a few mushrooms. That was a huge piece of fish - and delightful - haven't had tilapia in a while. enjoyed every morsel.

And the morsels on your plates?

We're watching Steven Kings, Must Die, (& about half way thru it, DH told me, "no, it is, "Seven Kings Must Die"....oh!)...I'm thinking we'll have Ham & Leeks hand pies, with some leftover Mulligatawny Soup...and I've got a batch of strawberries brewing in the bread machine that are going to make a rather delightful addition to some homemade vanilla ice cream!

We ordered from one of our favourite Italian restos. We shared a "piatto di salumi", a "Cesarina salad" (seemed like a Caesar salad to me), and an "Arancini de nonno stuffed with prosciutto, e mozzarella and tomato sauce". That was a lovely supper. The arancina? arancini? was really tasty, but it must take a lot of work and a lot of practise to make those.

We had chicken piccata with mushrooms, bowtie pasta, and green beans with sliced almonds. Lots of leftover chicken, which I told Himself is going into the freezer. He said that there was no room in the freezer. :unsure:There will be if I take an equal sized container of lasagna out of the freezer. :sneaky:

Attachments

• 20230422_205202.jpg
    20230422_205202.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 1
and an "Arancini de nonno stuffed with prosciutto, e mozzarella and tomato sauce". That was a lovely supper. The arancina? arancini? was really tasty, but it must take a lot of work and a lot of practise to make those.
I had my first ever of that just last week when family brought an extra home. It was amazing. Always said I was going to try and make some but now that I've had it - as taxy says... looks like a lot of work and that last 'frying' was delicate. Not greasy at all, not even sure it was fried. I just had mine plain, no sauce and it was great!

Arancini are surprisingly easy to make. I avoided trying for a long time because I also thought it would be a lot of work and needed a lot of practice, but I nailed it on the first try. Making the risotto is a lot more work lol Bonus is that they freeze well, before or after frying.

Check out this video. If you can bread and shallow-fry anything, you can make arancini.

Arancini are surprisingly easy to make. I avoided trying for a long time because I also thought it would be a lot of work and needed a lot of practice, but I nailed it on the first try. Making the risotto is a lot more work lol Bonus is that they freeze well, before or after frying.

Check out this video. If you can bread and shallow-fry anything, you can make arancini.
Here is another take on arancini that uses cold buttered rice instead of risotto.

The homemade arancini that I’ve had is sort of a cross between the two.

The rice was cold leftover rice that had been seasoned with grated cheese, dry breadcrumbs, fresh parsley and an egg binder. Sometimes a small amount of chopped pepperoni or hard salami was added with the mozzarella cube.

I suppose that originally people used whatever they happened to have on hand to make a nice family meal out of little or nothing.

Last edited:
We're watching Steven Kings, Must Die, (& about half way thru it, DH told me, "no, it is, "Seven Kings Must Die"....oh!)...I'm thinking we'll have Ham & Leeks hand pies, with some leftover Mulligatawny Soup...and I've got a batch of strawberries brewing in the bread machine that are going to make a rather delightful addition to some homemade vanilla ice cream!
Turns out, all we had was Caramel and Chocolate, oh well...

IMG_7332 (2).jpgIMG_7339 (2).jpg

Thanks for the links @GotGarlic and @Aunt Bea

The likelihood of leftover risotto and my house is practically nil. I made it once. It was okay. It was not worth the effort. I won't be making it again. The other video really looked like that Pasta Granny had a lot of practise. I'm old enough to know that it wouldn't go nearly that smoothly for me, until I had practised a lot. If I were younger with a lot more spoons, I would probably give it a try.

I know Stirling doesn't care for mushrooms, if I was still on the farm I would make you a mushroom risotto to die for. Just for you, Stirling don't touch!
So you like and make risotto I guess. Planning on trying out the method in the link that GG posted, the one that uses leftover risotto?

I oly made it when I had friends over. Never make it any more. Haven't wanted to try and downsize it for one.
Haven't gotten to the link yet, will tonight. Hey, yuh never knows!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom