Saturday Comfort - 8/21

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Crockpot Beef BBQ (SBR's, Brown Sugar & Sriracha Concoction...) with an Onion & a Carrot, over White Rice....

Beef BBQ, Crock Pot 8-2021.jpg

A blast from the past, fried bologna sandwich.
Slather butter on both halves of a burger bun. Brown on medium heat griddle until golden brown and slightly crispy. Set aside. Cut an X in the center of two slices of bologna. fry until very lightly browned. While the bologna is frying, slather both bun halves with Hellman's Real Mayo (Best Foods west of the Rockies).

place fried bologna onto the bottom bun. Add a slice of American cheese if you feel inclined. I added no cheese to mine. Consume this guilty pleasure with an appropriate beverage 9root bear, cola, 7 UP, etc.)

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

SO is off to FL again. This time for her granddaughter's bridal shower.

Tonight's dinner was spaghetti ala carbonara and a caesar salad. I use bacon to make the carbonara as I just love bacon. I'v e made it with pancetta but don't like it as much.

52D8FF68-1B21-43C9-881B-923BB0056559_1_105_c.jpg

Last edited:
Last night, ever, in my Mother's hometown.
Got all of her belongings stuffed into the back end of our SUV

moms stuff.jpg

I left a smidgen of room for our suitcase *phew*
We went over to the local Golf Club for a quick dinner.
It's to bed early, for we blast off, again, at "o' -way too dang early-clock"
for Arizona.
:clap:
This smoke is killing us! :glare:

Too hot and humid to spend any time outside grilling tonight. I fried up some Italian sausage. I served it with a leafy salad (Boston and curly green lettuce), napa cabbage, thinly sliced onions, carrots, and red onion, and some red bell pepper. There was the usual vinaigrette, as well as some roasted pumpkin seeds. I also served leftover Greek potatoes from last night's Greek resto delivery and some whole grain bread to dip in the sausage drippings. There was also some pink wine. We both thoroughly enjoyed that meal.

Italian sausages, salad, and Greek roasted potatoes.jpg

A blast from the past, fried bologna sandwich...
Fried bologna is on our menu for tomorrow! I make them completely different, though: a bread of some sort, (toasted bulkie roll tomorrow, sliced after toasting). Mustard on the bottom, then fried small bologna, tomato, lettuce, and the top of the roll.

Tonight we had salads, grilled pork chops, Brussels sprouts with bacon and mushrooms, grilled corn, and red chard sauteed in bacon grease. TJ's take-and-bake French roll for chasing food onto the fork.
IMG_20210821_222713909.jpg

We had soft shell crabs, refrigerator pickles and some sort of thing my niece sent to me. It had lentils, spätzle, and something else. Normally, she sends us amazing items, but this one missed the mark. Fortunately, we consoled ourselves with watermelon! :)

Speaking of which, this watermelon was amazing. Others have been okay. I keep trying to find the right way (method) to pick out the best watermelon. Does anyone have tips?

We had soft shell crabs, refrigerator pickles and some sort of thing my niece sent to me. It had lentils, spätzle, and something else. Normally, she sends us amazing items, but this one missed the mark. Fortunately, we consoled ourselves with watermelon! :)

Speaking of which, this watermelon was amazing. Others have been okay. I keep trying to find the right way (method) to pick out the best watermelon. Does anyone have tips?

Thump it gently with the pam of your hand, letting you hand sit on the melon. You are trying to feel resonance, or vibrations in the melon. When the melon is fully ripe, it becomes just the right sugar, solids, and water content to produce those vibrations, Over ripe and the flesh becomes too, un, squishy. Under ripe and the flesh is too firm. The melons I pick out are always perfect. I often assist complete strangers in the supermarket when they are trying to pick a good watermelon, using my method on a couple of melons ubtil I find a really good one, Then I have them use the same technique on multiple melons so that they can feel the difference in resonance in the melon.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom