Saturday dinner ideas, 2/11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
Good morning to all of the cooks in here.
Anyone cooking dinner tonight?
My menu is going to be easy as I'm studying all day.
It'll include a big salad with Nanna's bleu cheese salad dressing.
Stir fried/quick sauteed fresh vegetables, zukes, carrots, onions, shrooms, broc, caulif in pepper oil.
DH will also get a thick hamburger patty.
That'll do it for us.

We just had leg of lamb, mashed potatoes, honey boiled carrots, vol-au-vent and lotsa gravy! you guys are just waking up! Good morning. I am off to bed in two hours. Oh, I had Chai masala(tea) and maandazi (kenyan doughnuts)for breakfast in case I can entice you to have some.

I was going to grill hamburgers and make potato salad. But while rummaging through the freezer for ground beef, I found the sausages and ham for making jambalaya. I have all the other required ingredients for jambalaya in the cupboard. So, the hamburgers will have to wait for another day.

Sizzles, what is vol-au-vent?

We are having nothing special - grilled (GF) chicken breasts on top of a salad-mixed greens and veggies, cheese, and a couple boiled eggs. PDWife, wish I was at your house - I love shrimp!

baby back ribs with Bull's Eye BBQ sauce - sprinkle powdered garlic, onion, salt and pepper and drizzle with bbq sauce and 1/4 cup water, wrap in foil, bake at 375 degrees for 2 hours, then unwrap and broil for 10 minutes till crispy on the outside. No need to grill them outside if you don't want to go through the hassle.

I'm having friends over for a pan of lasagne. I am making that and the garlic bread. I told them to bring what ever they felt like, so maybe I will get a bunch of the same or maybe I will get lots of different things. Either way it will be a fun evening.

i had a slice of pizza earlier, took a nap, now i'm thinking of either going out for potatoes & gravy or making a steak, or both!:w00t:

{{{hi kingfisher}}} I noticed your number on my cell phone - I'll give you a call tomorrow.

Well, I decided to make our Valentine dinner tonight since Tuesday we will be going to dinner but I have been asked to help - so it won't be much of a dinner for me.

Thai red curry mussels (Epicurious)
Leg of lamb with rosemary/Dijon mustard pesto (my recipe)
collard greens (everyone's recipe)
radicchio and red wine risotto (I think an Epicurious recipe)
A nice bottle of Champagne with the mussels and a nice full-bodied Cabernet Saugignon wine from Trefelthon Vineyards in Napa Vally (could be Sonoma Valley I can't remember)

My kitchen is a wreck but I HAVE to go to bed - I'm beat - at least there's left-overs for tommow.

Michelemarie said:
Sizzles, what is vol-au-vent?
VOL AU VENT.jpg
I usually buy the crust and stuff it with different things. I made this last night with chopped mushrooms and chopped carrot.
Here is how I prepared it. I heated up about a tbs of olive oil, , then added half an onion, then two crushed garlics, then persil, then the mushrooms , then added half a glass of white wine, then let to simmer, then added the carrots and vegetable stock(same amount as wine)Simmer, then added four tbs of sour cream, then thicken with maizena, added a few drizzles of tabaso, worshester sauce and then let to cool down, then spooned into the already prepared crusts, then put in the oven for 10 mins. they are lovely, you can stuff them with anything you like, they compliment a lot of meals Michelemarie. Have a go at them. There are ways to prepare the crusts, but I am too lazy to do that, youcan buy some pastry ready to go and all you will need is the pastry cutters.

Sizzles, that picture made my mouth water. Thank you for sharing -please forgive my ignorance, but I want to make this and I don't know what persil or maizena is - can you explain?

ps-I'm all over the store bought crusts!

Sorry Michelemarie, living in french speaking part of switzerland, I seem to have a tendency of spelling some things in French from time to time. Persil is french for parsley:) And maizena is a brand of maize flour. but one can use wheat flour too, it's purpose is the thicken the filling.I am glad you could find the crusts.

Back
Top Bottom