Saturday June 25 Good Eats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
I am gone out of town most of the day and DH has a few projects he's working on so dinner is up in the air. I am thinking some form of quick salad or burgers.

How about you? Lots of summer grilling going on today?

A friend asked me to cook up several turkey drumsticks for him today. I'll probably make a gravy and simmer for an hour or so, turning every 15 minutes.

On second thought, I have several containers of really nice stocks, I think I'll thaw them out and boil the drumsticks in it.

The country style pork ribs I boiled this way were exceptionally flavorful and juicy, so I'll bet the turkey legs would come out nice.

Sounds wonderful, Zhizara. I know how great my kitchen smelled the other day when I made stock out of the stewing hens.

I picked up a mini ham at the store yesterday so it will be supper. Probably some mac'n'cheese to go with. Maybe add some asparagus.

Last night's pork tenderloin never made it out of the fridge so it's tonight's dinner.

Pork tenderloin on the grill or not, rice and a veggie.

I'm testing out a smoker modification I've been working on (old Weber kettle mounted on top of an el cheapo Brinkman smoker) and I'll be running a smoke and temperature check on it this afternoon.
So I think I'm going to throw on a full rack of spareribs while I'm at it.

meatball soup with lemon and egg sauce.. and some roasted veggies.. yum.. and then, some movie popcorn !!! Finally we get to see Xmen!

Tonight we are having a whole chicken cut up and marinated in teriyaki sauce and then grilled. On the side we'll have potato salad, corn on the cob, and a tomato salad.

I've decided on grilled pork chops with BBQ sauce for the meat. I think that will go well with the salsa and I have an avocado I might grill again, too.

Split green pea soup-
PEA SOUP (Split Green) with Boiled Ham Water
Dried split peas 3 lbs
Onions medium large 3 (diced)
Garlic 3 cloves minced
Oregano, dried 1 1/4 tsp
Thyme, dried 1/2 tsp
Bay Leaf, dried 2
Ham Bone w/meat 1 to 2 lbs
Ham Cooking Water 6 quarts
Bring to boil. Simmer covered button 3 (medium) for 1 hr, button 2 for 2 hrs. Uncover remove meat from bone.
Add meat and simmer uncovered stirring to reduce, button 3 for 15 min; button 2 for 30 min. button 1 for 15 min.
Do final stir and cover to let cool 1 1/2 hours.
Yields about 13 pints

Last edited:
justplainbill said:
Split green pea soup-
PEA SOUP (Split Green) with Boiled Ham Water
Dried split peas 3 lbs
Onions medium large 3 (diced)
Garlic 3 cloves minced
Oregano, dried 1 1/4 tsp
Thyme, dried 1/2 tsp
Bay Leaf, dried 2
Ham Bone w/meat 1 to 2 lbs
Ham Cooking Water 6 quarts
Bring to boil. Simmer covered button 3 (medium) for 1 hr, button 2 for 2 hrs. Uncover remove meat from bone.
Add meat and simmer uncovered stirring to reduce, button 3 for 15 min; button 2 for 30 min. button 1 for 15 min.
Do final stir and cover to let cool 1 1/2 hours.
Yields about 13 pints

Mmmm. Love split pea soup. I make mine on a smaller scale, in the slow cooker. Same basic ingredients.

Mmmm. Love split pea soup. I make mine on a smaller scale, in the slow cooker. Same basic ingredients.
It's nice to have a coupla three or four quarts in the freezer and a shame to throw out all of the eight or so quarts of water required to boil a ten pound half of smoked ham. Goes great with croutons made from white bread cubes fried in olive oil and garlic.
We pre-soak the ham in chilled plain water for 1 to 2 hours to draw out some of the saltiness, discard the soaking water and add fresh water (99 cents per gallon) for the cooking of the ham.

Last edited:
justplainbill said:
It's nice to have a coupla three or four quarts in the freezer and a shame to throw out all of the eight or so quarts of water required to boil a ten pound half of smoked ham. Goes great with croutons made from white bread cubes fried in olive oil and garlic.
We pre-soak the ham in chilled plain water for 1 to 2 hours to draw out some of the saltiness, discard the soaking water and add fresh water (99 cents per gallon) for the cooking of the ham.

Good point. I need a bigger freezer....

Back
Top Bottom