Saturday the fatter day, May 12th - what's sizzlin & delicious today on your plate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FluffyAngel

Senior Cook
Saturday the fatter day, May 12th - what's sizzlin & delicious today on your plate?

We're grilling some form of cow (preferably blue cheese burgers). I have prepared a Vidalia onion souffle to bake off after while, apple coleslaw, & baked beans. Dessert... ummm depending on the weather but possibly either a tres leches cake or just Ice cream.

it will be something simple and quick here. Have to irrigate and that takes about 3 hours. Looks like egg salad sammies and soup now to decide hot or cold soup?
no dessert have to make one for tomorrow.
kades

Bloody Mary's.....
Fried Catfish...Filets and Whole......
Dried Butter Beans..seasoned with bacon, andouille, tasso, trinity and garlic, etc.
Cabbage Slaw........
Corn Bread pone with a couple of jalapenos thrown in......
Chocolate 'Cream......

We are having the ground chicken with wing sauce and bleu cheese burgers. I picked up some young salad greens and tomatoes at the farmer's market this morning. Garlic vinaigrette.

Been craving seafood paella, so going to try a new restaurant. The chocolate lavender souffle sealed the deal.

Bloody Mary's.....
Fried Catfish...Filets and Whole......
Dried Butter Beans..seasoned with bacon, andouille, tasso, trinity and garlic, etc.
Cabbage Slaw........
Corn Bread pone with a couple of jalapenos thrown in......
Chocolate 'Cream......

Uncle Bob,
Can I come to your house for dinner. It sounds like something this Mississippi girl could really do justice to.

Josie

Pita pizzas, topped how you like. Dessert is the boston banana cake for Bugs belated birthday.

I think I will throw a fat slice of ham on the grill. I made a "3 Bean" marinated salad for tomorrow. Will test it/ the dressing at dinner today. I bought salad stuff at the store today, so a green salad too.

Made a really nice marinara sauce, then discovered we have about 12 strands of angel hair pasta. Not quite enough, so will have to either get creative or go to the store.

Made a really nice marinara sauce, then discovered we have about 12 strands of angel hair pasta. Not quite enough, so will have to either get creative or go to the store.

Do you have some Polenta Dawg? I love Polenta instead of pasta now and then! Yumm

Somebody was talking about cooking greens recently, I think you were in on that Dawg. I have (from the store) a bunch of collard greens and and bunch of mustard greens simmering in a pot with a couple of ham hocks. Think I'll make some Mexican cornbread to go with it. Yummm. :yum: It sure do smell good.

Kayelle said:
Do you have some Polenta Dawg? I love Polenta instead of pasta now and then! Yumm

Somebody was talking about cooking greens recently, I think you were in on that Dawg. I have (from the store) a bunch of collard greens and and bunch of mustard greens simmering in a pot with a couple of ham hocks. Think I'll make some Mexican cornbread to go with it. Yummm. :yum: It sure do smell good.

Great tip, Kayelle! Thanks! I found some penne (exp. 2010) which still tastes fine.

Enjoy your greens, they sound yummy!

I will also be grilling... some form of pig (the ribs are already on), corn on the cob and I will grill up a Vidalia onion like I've already done a couple times this week. The onion will look a lot like the one I did Friday night ;)

Attachments

• Grilled onion1.jpg
    Grilled onion1.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 155
  • Grilled onion2.jpg
    Grilled onion2.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 149
I'd eat some of dat!

Now you have me so inspired by a southern gentleman such as yourself, I just may try my hand at some stone ground grits I got from Trader Joe's recently. We never see stone ground grits at our local market here.
This will be a first for me.

I'm thinking about adding some cheese and saute onions? Does that sound about right?

Pac, that onion looks good enough to eat!

Last edited:
Baked Cheesy Grits

Now you have me so inspired by a southern gentleman such as yourself, I just may try my hand at some stone ground grits I got from Trader Joe's recently. We never see stone ground grits at our local market here.
This will be a first for me.

I'm thinking about adding some cheese and saute onions? Does that sound about right?

Pac, that onion looks good enough to eat!

Here is the recipe that has raised generations of .40 C's

Baked Cheesy Grits
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Serving Size: 8

Ingredients:

2 cups water
2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup grits
2 tablespoons butter
About 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (divided)
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Pour the liquid into a 3 quart saucepan and add the baking soda. I know this is a huge pan, but it can foam up with the baking soda so this will keep it from foaming over.

2. When the water boils, pour in the grits slowly so each grain gets "shocked" to prevent clumping. As soon as it comes to a boil again, turn the temp down to the lowest possible temp and stir down the foam. Stir constantly for 5 minutes (follow package instructions). It should be thick but not gummy. If set too hard, add more liquid 1 oz at a time.

3. Add the butter and cheese stir it in until it melts and is evenly distributed. If it is too thick, and it probably will be, add an ounce of liquid and stir. Add more liquid if necessary. When it has thickened but is still a little runny transfer to an oval casserole.

4. Top with more cheese.Bake until cheese on top is golden brown. Serve immediately.

Last edited:
I will also be grilling... some form of pig (the ribs are already on), corn on the cob and I will grill up a Vidalia onion like I've already done a couple times this week. The onion will look a lot like the one I did Friday night ;)

That looks fabulous!!!!! Great grilling job.

Back
Top Bottom