Saturday's Dinner - 10/1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DD is going to pick up the new steak bowl from Chipotle for us to try. We’ll split that along with salsa, guacamole and chips. If I don’t like it there’s chili or chicken soup I can have.

Tonight I was the sous-chef for Stirling. He made a Danish dish called biksemad. It's a traditional hash of already cooked meat (usually pork, which this was), potatoes, onions, and bacon, topped with one fried egg per person and a big sprinkle of chopped parsley. It is traditionally served with pickled beets, so we had some of those too. Definitely comfort food and I ate too much.

Biksemad (Danish hash) and beets.jpg Biksemad (Danish hash) and pickled beets.jpg

I made a one dish meal in the Instant Pot tonight, sort of - started it yesterday, cooking 1 1/2 c dried chickpeas, to have them ready for today. I made sort of a chole masala, but with a bunch of vegetables added, not just the chickpeas. I put the last of my eggplants and okra, and almost the last of my Thai red long beans, plus a diced up green bell pepper. I also took most of the tomatoes I had, and made a purée, of maybe 3 cups, and cooked it down, with the rest of the vegetables, before adding the chickpeas. This mix was pressure cooked for just 3 minutes, then last, tempered with the tarka (not traditional, but I like this in many things, with those curry leaves), and a little cilantro stirred in.
One dish meal, a sort of chole masala, with eggplant, okra, bell pepper, and Thai long beans added. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Tarka ingredients, ready to go into the oil. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Fried tarka, added to the chole. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished Chole, with a little cilantro topping it. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Back
Top Bottom