Saturday's Dinner - 7/2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Pork Loin Chop, Mashed with Mushroom Gravy,
Steamed Carrots with a few Bamboo Shoots....

Pork Loin Chop 7-2-22.jpg

Pizza. Home made. Ollie made the base and I did the toppings - spicy pepperoni slices, mushrooms, sliced spring onions, green pepper and chopped courgette (on a tomato and mozzarella base). Absolutely not authentic. But very tasty!

NY Strip and a big salad. I cooked the steak SV to 122ºF (135ºF for SO) and finished in a CI skillet.

IMG_0196.jpg

I bought a 1.5 inch thick t-bone steak that weighed nearly a kg. I cut off the tenderloin portion and made my first ever attempt at reverse searing. I pulled it out of the oven at 46°C (115°F). Then I seared it on both sides and on the edges. I cut about half of it into strips and seared them on both sides. Then I cut the rare piece into strips, so the steaks would look more similar. That worked a treat. Especially handy when one person likes rare to medium rare steak and the other person prefers well done. We both got our steak done the way we like them.

I made a blue cheese compound butter that we used on the steaks and on the potatoes. There was also the rest of the coleslaw from yesterday. The other portion of that t-bone steak is in the freezer and soon, I will cook it by the reverse sear method. I'm sure it will get easier with practise. It wasn't actually hard, but it did take a lot of planning and concentrating.

Filet mignon with compound butter, potatoes, and coleslaw 1.jpg Filet mignon with compound butter, potatoes, and coleslaw 2.jpg

Battered breaded baked cauliflower and asparagus with sweet savory stir fry sauce.
Kidney bean onion salad with mustard, vinegar, S&P salad.
Crustless pumpkin pie w/strawberry puree, later.

Home made tempra squid, and tempura chicken thigh strips, with oven baked breaded, butterly sjrimp. Sauce was simple catsup/horseradish sauce that I threw together. After all that savory goodness, and an almost too full tummy, I rounded it off with cold, sweet watermelon. No beverage required as watermelon is 90-some percent water.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Wow, taxy - that did sound like a lot of planning ahead! Good on yuh!

I've been trying to figure out how to cook his steak well done and mine rare or medium rare for at least 25 years. So, in some ways, I have been planning this for years. I'm just really happy to find a method that works and is an excellent method for cooking steak. If you like steak, you have to try the reverse sear method some time.

Steak is something else I rarely cooked. Never could afford it back in the day and when I could usually ended up being tough from lack of knowledge on how.

Back
Top Bottom