Sauerkraut Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A buddy of mine comes from a Polish family and he told me that on holidays, his family sits down to a big steaming bowl of sauerkraut. JUST sauerkraut! I bet that house has a pungent odor!!! One recipe that was handed down through the German side of my family was a recipe of very thick garlic mashed potatos with sauerkraut mixed in, formed into hamburger sized patties and pan fried. I tried it once, it was surprisingly good! :)

kraut recipes

Here's a recipe. Fry some bacon and remove meat when done ,leaving grease. Pour in sauerkraut and heat to boiling. While at a boil, spoon in dumpling batter,your own recipe, or the one on the biscuit box. Cook dumplings till done.They're great.

Sushi,

Buy some spare ribs (I prefer the country style). Dump your sauerkraut into a baking pan or casserole. Arrange ribs on top. Salt and pepper. Cover tightly with foil (or lid). Check a cookbook for time and temp. (I'm thinking 350 degrees but it has been awhile, so check!). When it is almost done, remove foil and let finish uncovered to brown. This goes great with mashed potatoes (you can make the sour cream and chive potatoes I posted) and baby peas. This is one of the best meals around!!

:) Barbara

THIS RECIPE WOULD BE REUBEN ME THE RIGHT WAY!!!

Reuben Casserole

12 oz. can corned beef (or 1 lb. deli
corned beef)
1/2 c. Thousand Island dressing
16 oz. can sauerkraut
6 slices rye bread
1/2 lb. Swiss cheese, grated
1/2 c. margarine

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Crumble corned beef into a well greased 12 x 8 inch baking dish. Spread dressing. Drain sauerkraut well and spread on top. Cover with cheese. Melt margarine. Tear rye bread into small pieces and toss with margarine. Then sprinkle over surface of casserole. Bake 30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

This Sounds Like A Keeper!!!

Poor Man Pierogi

1 lg. can sauerkraut (Bavarian style)
1 pkg. creamette* shells (tiny)
2 sticks butter or margarine
1 med. onion, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook noodles; drain. Add one stick butter; set aside. In large skillet, cook onion and 1 stick of butter until onion is transparent. Add drained sauerkraut. Cook 20 minutes. Add noodles. Mix well. Simmer 20 minutes to allow flavors to blend.

Another Reuben Twist...

REUBEN QUICHE

5 slices rye bread, toasted (1 1/2 c.)
1/4 c. margarine
1 c. shredded cheese
1 c. shredded corned beef
1 c. sauerkraut, well drained
1 1/2 c. half and half (or milk)
3 eggs
2 tbsp. grated onion
2 tbsp. Thousand Island dressing

Conventional method: Break up toast into crumbs. In saucepan, melt butter - add crumbs. Mix well and pat into pie plate. Sprinkle cheese over shell and add corned beef and kraut. Beat half and half with eggs and onion. Pour over filling and bake 35-40 minutes at 375 or until knife inserted comes out clean. Spread with dressing. Microwave method: Make bread crumbs. Melt butter in pie plate in microwave 45-60 seconds until melted. Add crumbs and pat onto bottom and up sides of plate. Sprinkle cheese over shell, then add beef and kraut. Beat half and half with eggs and onion. Pour over top. Microwave on high 9-11 minutes or until set in center. Let stand 5 minutes and spread top with dressing.

Pour it in pan large enough to place a couple pounds of Keilbasa or Smoked Sausage. Do not cut the sausage....just prick it with a knife or fork to keep it from bursting. Cook the kraut on medium lfor about five minutes then add the sausage. Turn the heat down to medium low and cook for about 30 minutes. Serve this with mashed potatoes. This is one ofmy families favorite meals and it is so easy.

side bacon is good with sauerkraut, as well as sausage.....and potatoes.......sauerkraut rocks! One day I'm gonna get a crock and make my own...now that's the sh**! Dad makes his all the time...mmmmm

Barbara L said:
Sushi,

Buy some spare ribs (I prefer the country style). Dump your sauerkraut into a baking pan or casserole. Arrange ribs on top. Salt and pepper. Cover tightly with foil (or lid). Check a cookbook for time and temp. (I'm thinking 350 degrees but it has been awhile, so check!). When it is almost done, remove foil and let finish uncovered to brown. This goes great with mashed potatoes (you can make the sour cream and chive potatoes I posted) and baby peas. This is one of the best meals around!!

:) Barbara
yes we did this the other day... yum

This is one of those no real recipes. I believe it's Alsacian. But if you have a lot of kraut, and a big family or good group of friends ...

drain, squeeze your saurkraut, rinse and repeat.

sautee some onions and apple slices until just carmelized. set aside.

brown the following:

pork chops
sausages (smoked, fresh, or both)
ham (shanks or thick slices)

Put all together, barely cover with water, and cook either on low on stovetop, in a crock pot, or in the oven at a slow heat for a couple of hours.

A lot of people like to add some sugar to taste.

I'd serve with hearty bread or even polenta. A very light cucumber salad. Lots of something like rhein wine.

I do not remember what this dish is called, and I'm sure someone out there can come up with a more authentic, disciplined version. All I know is that it calls for smoked meats and saurkraut.

Throw it out, buy a plane ticket and come here to Munich where sauerkraut tastes good. :P

Just kidding. I really don't have any idea what to do with manufactured sauerkraut in the US because over here it's a bit sweet, very fresh tasting and very delicious. I guess they don't "pickle" it as much. My mom would tell you to cut up some hot dogs and have sauerkraut and weenies. That's what she force-fed me as a child. ;)

a family favorite:
-1 or 2 bags sauerkraut, pork roast, baby red potatoes, and lots and lots of black pepper all in a big roaster, covered and baked till done. i haven't made this on my own before, but my Dad makes it often and it's really simple. good with a nice grainy mustard or horseradish for dipping and my Dad and i alwaya wash it down with a nice cold beer.
i have only tried canned sauerkraut once and it tasted tinny to me.
or else you can throw it into a pot on the stove with some kielbossa. again, good with a grainy mustard. it's good with hot sauce and black pepper as a side for pork chops, or you can bake them in it.
crockpot reuben is good. (need a recipe? i have a few.)
it's good with pierogies, too.

Hi,

here in Germany (where the home of Sauerkraut is..:LOL: ), we make mashed potatoes, Sauerkraut (only let it cook for ca. 15 Min. (if it is a good spiced one), and nuckle of pork or smoked pork chop..

It is so delicous.

But if you want, I ´ve a recipe from my slowenien father-in-law, it´s called Szegediner Gulasch (goulash).:angel:

greetings from cloudly Germany
Tanja

Ds

There are some really interesting ideas here. I recently read that sauerkraut is good for the digestion. They suggested drinking the juice which I can't believe. DS I appreciate you making the request. How can you decide which to try first? They all sound so different.

Back
Top Bottom