Sausage making Tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wittdog

Master Chef
Here are a couple of hints…these things work for me..you might not see the need but I found that things tend to go smoother doing these things…feel free to add your own tips as well..
Casings…when using natural casings..two days before I plan on using them. .I soak them overnight in water to get the salt off and make them more pliable…then the following day I flush and cut the casings to the desired length and tie off one end…this saves a lot of time when you start to stuff the casings.

When you are done grinding your meat…but a couple of pieces of bread in the grinder…it helps to clean out the leftover meat and makes cleaning the grinder easier..

When storing your blade and grinding plates but them in a ziplock bag with some uncooked white rice...that way they won't rust...

Hey Witt..thanks for all them good tips. Now would only like to add one thing. Come from my old pal Joe Ames and found it totally true. Day or two afore you want to stuff..get your guts ready..then sling out the water and stick em a fruit jar and fill it with white vinegar over the top and shake em up a bit and stick em in the icebox You will find they have acquired some different properties during the time you get ready to use em. To start out with they be slicker than semen on a gold tooth. Real hard to tie a knot that will hold..but that is the only drawback I have found. They be highly more elastic..come off the stuffing horn easier blah blah blah...take some of that dead hawg smell away etc less likely to have a blow out et al. You got some leftover guts..no problemo..slung out the water and back in the jar they go and back into the ice box. Add vinegar as needed. Guts will last for generations for them who follow this plan. Thanks.

bigwheel

Here's something I noticed to day...after taking the sausage out of the smoke house...don't sprinlke the water on them...fully submerge them in water..it prevents the casings from wrinkling..

Few questons WD.
After you flush out the casings do you put them back in water?
What kind of knot?

yes puff..after they are flushed but them back in the water and back in the fridge..as for the knot..just a regular one but leave some extra casing on the back end..if you don't you might have trouble stuffing it

wittdog said:
Here's something I noticed to day...after taking the sausage out of the smoke house...don't sprinlke the water on them...fully submerge them in water..it prevents the casings from wrinkling..
Is that just for cold smoking Dog? Or for regular smoking too?

Thats when you smoke it at temps below BBQ temps I smoke at 120* for an hour, 145* for 2 hours (with wood), 165* till 155 internal.

Puff said:
Few questons WD.
After you flush out the casings do you put them back in water?
What kind of knot?

JUST ONE question for Bigwheel.....I'm not sure I really want to know ...... but how do YOU know how slick semen is on a gold tooth? :LOL:

I can only tell how slick things are on teeth by having them in my own mouth.

Sorry I couldn't let that one get by.... just funnin' with ya!

Meat Purchase

Hey everyone, just trying to get a head count as to how you like to purchase your pork for sausage making.
On the bone or off?
I'm an on the bone meat trimmer myself!
Northsmoke [/url]

wittdog said:
Here are a couple of hints…then the following day I [] cut the casings to the desired length and tie off one end…

Witt,

Which end?

Rich

Left end maybe? Never tie the knot till you get it loaded on the horn and have passed enough meat through the auger till it starts pushing meat outta the nozzle instead of air. Swear I aint sure whut that boy smokes sometimes.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Left end maybe? Never tie the knot till you get it loaded on the horn and have passed enough meat through the auger till it starts pushing meat outta the nozzle instead of air. Swear I aint sure whut that boy smokes sometimes.

bigwheel
A sauasge pricker will git the air pockets out.. ;) or wait till it's on the nozzle

I'll be god damn, just brousing through and noticed an old post of mine from Feb 5, 2007 right smack dab in the little of your conversation. :scratch Now how did that happen?
I hate to say it but this site has been all screwed up for me, nothing works right?

Never mind everyone, I just figured what going on and I'm sure you all think I'm on drugs or crazy or something.
Just ignore me today, in my line of business there are just too many holes to dig. [smilie=rlp_smilie_312.gif]

Back
Top Bottom