Savory Waffles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudbug

Chef Extraordinaire
Sound good, kansasgirl? Found this recipe in the Wms Sonoma catalog I picked up the other day. Can't wait to try this one. The recipe calls for topping with eggs benedict stuff (ham, egg, Hollandaise).

2 cups AP flour
1-1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons sugar
2 eggs
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, melted
2 cups milk
1 cup shredded Gruyere
1/2 cup mashed, peeled, boiled potato
3 T chopped fresh chives
pepper to taste

Whisk together flour, salt, baking powder and sugar. In separate bowl, whisk together eggs, butter, and milk. Add egg mixture to flour mixture, whisk until combined. fold in cheese, potato, chives and pepper.

I have a cookbook somewhere in this house that is all about waffles. I went through it and took a look, for inspiration. It has savory waffels made with herbs like sage, the wonderful flavors of onion and garlic, etc. These are then topped with everything from sausage gravy, to prime rib and au jus. With the addition of yeast to a waffle batter, the end product can be cut into crunchy sticks, suitable for a side to go with your favorite marinara and pasta dish. You can ladle a rich and creamy chowder, or creamy chowder over top as well.

In short, the versatility of waffles is severly underdeveloped by most people. Let's see, waffle cones, belgian waffles with fresh fruit, regular waffles with maple syrup, savory waffles with gravy and meat, sweet potatoe waffles with butter and brown sugar, a monte cristo sandwhich made between breakfast waffles and covered with syrup, or waffles with melted cheese, or waffles drizzled with EVOO and topped with your favorite Bruchetta toppings, or ...

I think you get the idea. Waffles are only limited by your imagination. :D

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Oh yes Mudbug! Sorry for the delayed response - I got a new computer, so I have been out of commission lately.

Your recipe is similar to one that I have. I love the addition of cheese in yours - a definite must-try. These type of waffles are great for appetizers, savory breakfasts, and unique sides. They are wonderful just with butter or topped with sauteed mushrooms and onions.

Herb Waffles
2 c AP flour
1 ts Salt
4 ts Baking powder
2 tb Sugar
6 tb Herbs, finely chopped, any combination (chives, thyme, parsley, sage, basil, tarragon, etc.)
5 oz Unsalted butter
1 1/2 c Milk
2 Eggs, beaten

1.Sift dry ingredients together. Stir in chopped fresh herbs.
2.Heat butter and milk until butter is melted. Cool slightly before whisking in eggs. Quickly whisk in dry ingredients until just combined. Allow batter to rest for 30 minutes before using.
3.Make waffles according to waffle iron instructions, greasing iron well. Can also be made into pancakes of any size.

Kansas girl; Add an extra egg to the batter, and more liquid to thin it out, and you can turn these into savory crepes that cn then be rolled around meat and veggie fillings, and then topped with a suitable sauce or gravy.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom