Scallops with a green chile sauce

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Scallops are sold like shrimp. The lower the #, the bigger the Scallop and the fewer # / lb. We considered 4-5 of the 9-12/lb to be a serving. I can't afford decent-sized scallops but would bet you could do this with cod, walleye, or shrimp.

Scallops are sold like shrimp. The lower the #, the bigger the Scallop and the fewer # / lb. We considered 4-5 of the 9-12/lb to be a serving. I can't afford decent-sized scallops but would bet you could do this with cod, walleye, or shrimp.

It's great with either shrimp or prawns - I've had it several times with large prawns.
Can't see any reason it wouldn't be a good taste fit with cod or walleye.

When living in Winnipeg as a young man, I had a lot of walleye - particularly what they called walleye cheeks (or pickerel as walleye was called in Canada).
I'll bet fried walleye cheeks dusted with breadcrumbs would go great with this sauce.

...When living in Winnipeg as a young man, I had a lot of walleye - particularly what they called walleye cheeks...
Decades ago, back in OH, my go-to grocery store would get their fish flown in daily from Foley Fish in Boston. They had cod cheeks regularly. Loved those things! However, I have never seen them in the 19 years we've actually lived in MA, and don't remember seeing them for years before back home. Wonder why the cheeks are gone?

These days they must use the small medallions of fish flesh obtained from the inside of the gills (the 'cheeks') for other purposes.
I've not seen or heard of fish cheeks for over 30 years at least.

Grouper cheeks are very popular here, especially Black and Gag (grey) grouper.

When I would go to Newfoundland regularly, cod cheeks were my fav! I love it when the walleye we get are of the right size to grab the cheeks. Cod tongues are also good.

These days they must use the small medallions of fish flesh obtained from the inside of the gills (the 'cheeks') for other purposes.
I've not seen or heard of fish cheeks for over 30 years at least.

Cheeks are not inside the gills. They are below/behind the eyes in front of the gills.

Further, "In front" of the gills surely can't be on the outside of the gills- there's no flesh on the outside of the gills - It has to be inside. (that's cheeks, isn't it ?) Just picture a fish's head - the gills are in it. They're not in the body cavity as human lungs are
"Below the eyes" is inside of the fish's head as well.

Last edited:
Further, "In front" of the gills surely can't be on the outside of the gills- there's no flesh on the outside of the gills - It has to be inside. (that's cheeks, isn't it ?) Just picture a fish's head - the gills are in it.
"Below the eyes" is inside of the fish's head as well, alongside the gills.
Not really.
d88b2a3a57815eee78986a400d064697.jpeg

That's what I was told - perhaps this is just semantics as to exact location.
Do you have reliable info. as to exactly where cheeks are located. ?

Yes, all the fish I've seen taken apart from when DH and I spearfished for 20 plus years.

Last edited:
I'm looking at the picture you've posted - the gills are definitely within the head of the fish, not in the body itself. The cheek is immediately beside the gill.
C'mon, let's give this a break - it's not worth arguing about.

No, it's not semantics. You stated the cheeks were inside the gills and they aren't. No ifs, ands or buts. Wouldn't want to be putting out incorrect info.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom