Sear with cast iron

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkqq

Assistant Cook
Hi all,

I bought a cheap 24cm cast iron pan (Kichly). This is my first time using a cast iron and I'm still adjusting to it. It doesn't help that the instructions on the internet/Youtube all contradict each other.

1. Should I preheat it on low/medium heat or very high heat? I have a ceramic cooktop with setting 1-9. Instructions for the pan say to cook on low/medium heat, but other places say use high heat for sear.

2. Should I preheat the pan without any oil and only add oil when it gets hot?

3. If I add oil before preheating, the oil (olive/sunflower) will start smoking and evaporate away before the pan gets hot enough.

4. I just cannot seem to get the pan hot enough using low/medium heat? Should I just wait longer?

Currently I can sear much better with my stainless steel pan than the cast iron. Normally I Just preheat my stainless steel pan on the highest setting (9), and then dial down the heat once I add the food.

Many thanks!

The reason for initially heating medium/low is mostly for gas cooktops. Cast Iron doesn't heat all that evenly so with lower temps the pan will heat more evenly initially, but will also take longer.

But your ceramic cooktop heats more evenly than a gas burner, provided you use a hob that covers the bottom of the pan. But anything but high is not continuous heat like a gas flame (the burner cycles on and off to control temperature). This is why your pan will not come up to the same heat at med/low on electric as it will with gas. So use whatever setting you need to get your pan to temp you want… then add the oil, waiting until it is shimmering, and then add your protein and press it down to make good contact. Don't move it until your first side sear is sufficient to allow it to release from the pan.

While cast iron is great for frying, burgers and steaks, or anywhere you want to work with larger volumes of food and not have the pan temp drop because of it. But if I don't need that I will use stainless as it heats and cools quicker, thus giving you more control for things like seafood. I'll also use it for any protein that I plan to make a pan sauce for.

Last edited:
... So use whatever setting you need to get your pan to temp you want… then add the oil, waiting until it is shimmering, and then add your protein and press it down to make good contact. Don't move it until your first side sear is sufficient to allow it to release from the pan.

While cast iron is great for frying, burgers and steaks, or anywhere you want to work with larger volumes of food and not have the pan temp drop because of it. But if I don't need that I will use stainless as it heats and cools quicker, thus giving you more control for things like seafood. I'll also use it for any protein that I plan to make a pan sauce for.

What Scott says,
and Welcome to DC, mkqq

yes, you might find it a bit different, but really you will get used to it. You will also find it work better as it becomes more seasoned.

Thank you both. Very helpful advice and makes a lot of sense. I'll be more confident using higher heat with it from now on :)

One more questions. Does the same also apply to an enamel cast iron pan? For example if I bought a Le Creuset enaml cast iron, can I still use the highest heat setting without risking cracking the coating?

I do find my stainless pan to be my go-to pan for most things, although I am starting to use the cast iron more. The only thing I use a non-stick for is cooking delicate fish fillets these days.

Thank you both. Very helpful advice and makes a lot of sense. I'll be more confident using higher heat with it from now on :)

One more questions. Does the same also apply to an enamel cast iron pan? For example if I bought a Le Creuset enaml cast iron, can I still use the highest heat setting without risking cracking the coating?

I do find my stainless pan to be my go-to pan for most things, although I am starting to use the cast iron more. The only thing I use a non-stick for is cooking delicate fish fillets these days.
Hi and welcome to Discuss Cooking [emoji2]

The manufacturer's instructions for Le Creuset enameled cast iron say to heat it on low to medium for a few minutes.

Medium or low heat will provide the best results for cooking, including frying and searing. Allow the pan to heat gradually and thoroughly for even and efficient cooking results. Once the pan is hot, almost all cooking can be continued on lower settings.

High heat temperatures should only be used for boiling water for vegetables or pasta, or for reducing the consistency of stocks or sauces. High heats should never be used to preheat a pan before lowering the heat for cooking. Cast iron retains heat so efficiently that overheating will cause food to burn or stick.

Always match the pan’s base size to the stovetop heat zone to maximize efficiency, and to prevent overheating of the pan sides or damage to the handles.
https://www.lecreuset.com/care-and-use.html

Does the same also apply to an enamel cast iron pan? For example if I bought a Le Creuset enaml cast iron, can I still use the highest heat setting without risking cracking the coating?

My ceramic top range is L 1 2 3 4 5 6 H. The only thing I use High for is boiling water. Any empty pan on High will get way hotter than anything I need to sear/char with (450-475). My suggestion would maybe get yourself an infrared thermometer to help you find the pan temps you're looking for. These work great on cast iron… but note they will not be accurate on stainless steel until oil is in the pan.

Your cast iron pan (pre-seasoned, not enameled??) can withstand the highest temperatures. I have recipes that call for a CI pan to be preheated in the oven at 500ºF. Also, to put it on a burner set to high for five minutes to preheat for searing a steak.

Add the oil just before adding the food. When the oil starts to shimmer in the pan it's ready to go. You don't want the oil to be smoking.

The temperature you preheat to will be dictated by the recipe or what you want to accomplish.

Cast iron pans are rugged.

Welcome to the forum!

I can't add much to what has been said about CI, as others use it more than I do. However, I'm surprised that someone didn't mention one thing about CI, as well as some of the enameled pans, that you have to consider when using on a ceramic or glass top range - the bottoms are rough, and can scratch the cook top. I remember a friend of mine, who moved from a place with gas, to one with ceramic, and was going to get rid of her beloved cast iron skillets (She used them more than me!). So I took them into my workshop, and sanded the bottoms with silicon carbide paper - took off the roughness, plus a slight unevenness on one - starting on 220 grit, working down to 1200. She didn't have any enameled pans - just plain CI, but it was much smoother than the initial surface, so she ended up keeping them!

Last edited:
I'm with Andy on this one.
Also, your oil is not "evaporating", it is bonding to the iron to create a deeper seasoning.
Olive oil has a lower smoking point than some. You don't want this to be the seasoning that is bonded. Ghee is a much better choice or any that have a smoking point of 450-up.

Welcome to the forum!

I can't add much to what has been said about CI, as others use it more than I do. However, I'm surprised that someone didn't mention one thing about CI, as well as some of the enameled pans, that you have to consider when using on a ceramic or glass top range - the bottoms are rough, and can scratch the cook top. I remember a friend of mine, who moved from a place with gas, to one with ceramic, and was going to get rid of her beloved cast iron skillets (She used them more than me!). So I took them into my workshop, and sanded the bottoms with silicon carbide paper - took off the roughness, plus a slight unevenness on one - starting on 220 grit, working down to 1200. She didn't have any enameled pans - just plain CI, but it was much smoother than the initial surface, so she ended up keeping them!

I use them and I just do not drag the pan. I lift it and put it down.
It's really only an issue if I have a cast iron Dutch oven I have been frying in and it is heavy with oil. I have to be careful not to splash when moving it to a cold spot on the stove.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom